Monday, January 07, 2013

Hallo from Deutschland! Bonn and New Year’s Eve in Berlin (Dec. 26 – Dec. 31)


It’s only been slightly longer than a week since we got to Germany, but so much has already happened. I want to first say that the cultural and historical excursions have been an incredible eye-opening experience for me. I do not intend for this post to cover every exact thing we have done, but rather I would like this post to be a way for me to describe the particularly interesting portions of the trip and my thoughts regarding them. On December 27th, we arrived in Frankfurt and our group traveled by bus to Bonn where we resided in Hotel Mercedes from the 27th to the 31st of December. After orientation at the AIB Study Center, our group went to dinner in a traditional Reinish restaurant. I’ve heard that German meals consist of half meat and half potatoes and that news is for the most part correct. It’s interesting that diet is something so dependent on where you live. More than the enivronmental cues, I think the cultural aspect plays a huge role in this. For one, I don’t get why Germans don’t really like “leitungswasser”, or tap water. They drink so much soda and beer. Personally, I’m not a drinker of carbonated beverages so me and my water bottle have definitely bonded on this trip. Anyway, on the 28th, we visited the University Clinic of Bonn where all of us got to observe real surgeries. There were liver transplants, hip and shoulder replacements, and vascular surgeries. I got to observe an atherectomy in which a blockage was removed from the carotid artery of a man. I didn’t get nauseous at the sight of the blood so that was a plus. For lunch that day, we ate at a Turkish kabob eatery. Dr. Wasser explained that there are many Turkish people in Germany because following WWII, Germany lacked the manpower to rebuild as many men died in the war. So they allowed the Turkish people to come into Germany to help in the rebuilding. An interesting aspect is that Germany thought they would leave after the reconstruction was completed, but many Turks stayed, thus leading to a permanent Turkish influence in Germany today. Dr. Wasser held a lecture that discussed the various health care systems of the world and it gave me a perspective on how different health is viewed across different cultures. Access to health care is also so very different among the nations of the world. It seems no one can agree on how health care should be distributed. I thought it was interesting that French people believe health is centered in the liver. German people think it’s centered in the heart, and British people believe it is centered in the gastrointestinal system.



On the 29th, we began with a lecture over the Nazi Euthanasia killings. The Nazis advocated the killing of Jews, but they especially wanted to get rid of the sick and handicapped people of German. This was all in an effort to create a perfect Aryan race. Afterwards, we visited a history of anesthesia museum that was guided by Dr. Schoekel, a well-known anesthesiologist. He went over the incredible field of anesthesia and went really in-depth into how anesthesia developed. It covered everything from ether to isoflurane. To be honest, I started to phase out near the end because of the detail in his impartings. I really do find the field of anesthesia rather interesting especially because it has implications in the research lab that I am a part of back at A&M. For the next excursion of the day, Dr. Wasser took us to a post-WWII German history museum and he talked about the changes that occurred within German as a result of the Berlin Wall. With so much information about Germany’s involvement in WWII, it seems that the history of Germany after WWII is often not emphasized, especially in history classes taught in America (well, the ones taught in my high school anyway). This tour also allowed me to remember that majority of Germans during the Nazi regime were not at fault but they were the ones forced to clean up the mess caused by the Nazis. In fact, many of the Ally bombings took the lives of many innocent Germans. The social stigma that resulted from viewing the atrocities of the concentration/extermination camps plagued Germans for many decades after the war. It reminds me of the prejudice against Muslims and Arab people after the 9/11 terrorist attack: it only takes the wrongdoings of a few people to change the way the world looks at a certain representative group of people.



The next day we took a day trip to Cologne; it was our first excursion out of the city. after a 20 minute train ride, we emerged from the station and immediately saw a grand view of the Cologne Cathedral. It’s one thing to see pictures of it and study it, but it’s another thing to be right in front of it. After taking an architecture history course in which I studied Gothic architecture, I immediately identified elements of the structure. The cathedral boasts impressive facades, pediments, sculptures, flying buttresses, and spires on the outside. The tympanums under the recessed arches lining the doorways tell biblical stories in picture form. On the interior, I noted the elevations of the clerestory, triforium, and arcade, beautiful stained glass windows, quadripartite ribbed vaults, pointed arches, apse, transepts, nave, chapels, sanctuary, and narthex. I also met up with Hanna, a high school exchange student who I haven’t seen in almost 3 years; it was great to see her again. She temporarily joined our group for tours of the Cologne Cathedral and the Praetorium. The Praetorium were the Roman ruins that are remnant of the Roman Empire in Germany. This made me realize that Germany has so many influences from its past; not just from the Nazi regime, but also from way back in the time the Roman Empire had an influence as far West as Germany. Our last destination of the day in Cologne was the Elde Haus, an infamous Nazi prison from WWII. The tour included a look at the actual prison rooms and accounts from survivors and victims. We even got to see a creepy Gestapo typewriter with a special Gestapo symbol on one of the typing keys. This place definitely evoked more emotion than a lecture over Nazi prisons that I remember back in high school.                



As the next day arrived, we packed up our belongings and boarded a high-speed train that traveled at 200 km/hr towards Berlin. We arrived at the Alex Hotel about 5 hours later and shortly after, headed for Straße des 17. Juni near Brandenburg Gate and the Victory Column to celebrate until the New Year arrived. It was an interesting experience but I got the chance to jump off the ground as the old year expired and land as the new year began; it was temporarily a sort of clean slate moment for me. We got to watch an impressive fireworks display that lit the night sky up and I was able to experience my first New Year’s celebration outside of the US.



Finally, throughout the trip so far, we have had free time to go hang out, socialize, and eat dinner in various restaurants.  I know I only really talked about the educational aspects of this trip, but I want to stress the importance of this experience for myself as an opportunity to learn and grow as an internationally aware student, not just some college student who studies abroad for fun and games. Overall, I like the group and I enjoy getting to know them, but learning about medicine, history, and culture in Germany has been the real selling point of the trip for me. I am excited to be in Berlin and I hope that family and friends are doing well.



Auf wiedersehen until the next post! Hope you had a wonderful New Year’s Eve.

Austin Wang  

No comments: