Thursday, January 03, 2013

Bonn Voyage: Days 1 through 5

Guten tag! So we have left Bonn where we have been since we arrived in Germany on December 27th 2012. This is for the dates December 27th through December 31st and the days have seemingly gone by slowly but in a good way. Just as I was learning to get my way around Bonn, the old capital of Germany, we had to leave for Berlin, the current capital city of Germany
Me meeting some peeps, Kitty and Leo, at the airport.

So to recount the last few days, the first day, December 27th, we groggily arrived at the airport in Frankfurt where after meeting my fellow students proceeded to leave for Bonn via charter bus. The weather was surprisingly mild and has been since I have been here. It is not much colder than a cold College Station night but I blame global climate change, as snow seems unlikely as of now which is unusual this time of the year in Germany. Upon arrival to Bonn, we checked into Hotel Mercedes where I roomed with Austin and Leo in a three-bed room unit. We then met up with Suzanne and Nils at the AIB, had an orientation of sorts and then went to go eat at a traditional German restaurant. I ordered a paprikaschnitzel, a traditional German cut of pork slathered with not-very-spicy pepper sauce. People are right when they say German food is all meat and potatoes. My plate was half schnitzel and half French fries and 100% “unhealthy”. Also, I tried a Kolsch beer made by a brewery called Gaffel, which I did not find to be in good tastes. I did not get to experience a lot of Germany that day in Bonn as I quickly went to sleep that evening. It felt surprisingly familiar to be in Germany even though I have never been here. The buildings and environment appeared differently than what I am used to in Texas but it still felt rather similar in a way. I suppose that since we are still on planet Earth that is to be expected!
Dark and early to go see those surgeries!
On day two, December 28th, we woke up super early at around 5:30 AM to eat breakfast and go to a Bonn hospital to observe surgeries. We put on scrubs and then split into pairs. Suzanne and I saw some sort of shoulder joint surgery and it was kind of interesting to see that open gash considering it was the first surgery I have ever seen in my life. The environment was pretty chill though since there was conversation going on between the nurses and doctors and music playing from a radio. We talked a little and the surgeon offered me a screwdriver that was used to adjust a joint or something and the kicker was that it was about 220 euros! It was probably disposable anyway but it was pretty cool and nice of them to let me keep it. And after the first operation and rather quickly, the next patient came. The second surgery was a hip replacement which was extremely blood and slightly unnerving to watch. The heat scalpel used to cut the individual getting the procedure done gave off a rather interesting scent and the surgeons were wearing face shields so one could know immediately that the procedure had some flying fluids. Overall from this experience, German medicine, to me, seems very efficient and pretty much what I imagine a surgery would be like in the USA. And it was really awesome to see my first surgeries but now I know for sure I do not want to be a surgeon. We then went to eat lunch at a Turkish place and then went to the AIB where Dr. Wasser lectured us on comparative health systems. Most of us in the room slept sometime in that lecture but I made my best effort to stay awake. It was very interesting hearing about how the USA had the most expensive healthcare costs but not the best stats compared to other countries that had lower healthcare costs. After that lecture, the head of the AIB took us around some interesting points in Bonn such as a church down the street that had a Roman ruin underneath and the Rhine River. He was very informative but I remember it being dark, cold, and drizzly so the weather was slightly distracting. We then returned to the AIB for some German films. We only watched a portion of the first film about a man who went through non-public school and did not have any fun experiences but went back to high school to relieve a better version of his high school career. The second film was a hilarious British short called “Dinner for One” about an old woman who hosts a party with her butler for all of her friends who are already dead. They also provided a traditional drink that consisted of a heated red wine/rum with hints of orange and cinnamon. It was an interesting drink but definitely did not suit my tastes. Later that evening, we explored Bonn more and visited a few of the clubs there. Bonn is a beautiful city and is easily my favorite place thus far.
Getting schooled by the good doctor.
As for day three, December 29th, we ate breakfast and then started the day at the AIB for another one of Dr. Wasser’s lectures. He talked about the Nazi Euthanasia program and how they killed not only Jews during WWII but also their own “Aryans” who were not fit for life such as sickly children or disabled individuals in general who could possibly “taint” the “perfect Aryan” gene pool. Hearing about all that mess was pretty crazy since some people actually thought like that back then and it was not even that long ago. Anesthesia was also discussed since we went to the Museum of the History of Anesthesia. The curator/tour guide was a man who made many innovations to the science and art of anesthesia and took us around his collection. There were so many anesthesia tools and devices from the creation of the first sleep inducing to the present time and seeing that transition was incredible. It is hard to imagine that at one time, anesthesia was unknown and pain prevailed during a surgical operation. Old medicine seems not only wrong but extremely brutal as well. Even so called “new medicine” is always improving as at one time, ether was considered to be a new, cutting-edge anesthesia agent but now, other substances such as isoflurane are now used since they are much safer and more effective. After lunch, we then went to the German History Museum. We learned more about the history of Germany, which went beyond whatever the Nazis did during WWII. Germany has a unique history much like any other nation in the world and it was nice to see objects and other bits of knowledge from German history. However, the most I remember being there was being extremely tired and wanting to sleep, which I did when I got back to the hotel.
The Cologne Cathedral was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life.
And for day four, December 30th, we went to Cologne where I met up with my friend Hanna who attends a gymnasium, or high-level academic high school, in Germany. She went to my high school during my 11th grade and stayed for the whole year where she was in two of my high school classes. She then joined our tour group and proceeded to see the sights with us. The first structure I saw upon exiting the Cologne train station was the giant cathedral. The Cologne Cathedral was awe-inspiring, an enormous medieval structure towering above the city, juxtaposed against the modern Cologne architecture. After that we visited other places around Cologne with a very knowledgeable tour guide who took us around where I saw places such as the old Roman ruins in Cologne. We then ate lunch at a restaurant whose name escapes me but I ordered a schnitzel, which came with croquettes and mixed season vegetables, which I was extremely thankful for since fresh vegetables are slightly difficult to come around here. After lunch, we then went to the Elde Haus, a former SS Nazi prison turned museum. Part of the horrors of the Nazi regime was shown there and it felt weird to be in a place where so many people suffered and perished. I can’t imagine fitting in a tiny cell with 29 or so other people waiting to be tortured and executed. Afterwards, we retuned to Bonn. The plan that night was to eat dinner around 7:30 PM in Bonn and go to Cologne to visit the clubs around the city but after resting at the hotel for a few minutes, I fell asleep unable to do any of the above activities with the rest of the group but a few people who were too tired did stay like I did.
Berlin has an artistic side. It is not a bad thing but Bonn is definitely a more home-y place.
The last day of 2012 was the fifth day, December 31st, and we rode the ICE from Bonn to Berlin. The ICE is the fastest type of train in Germany and travelled around 200 km/h during our ride. We then proceeded to check-in at Hotel Alex where I am again sharing a three-bed room with Austin and Leo. After a bit of city exploring and having a krakauer, a type of German wurst/hot dog, we then went back to rest up for the large New Year’s Party at Brandenburg Gate in an area called the Fest Mile. Down the mile, there were food stands, souvenir stands, live music, fireworks, lights and everything! As it so happens, my friend Maura who attends Texas Tech University, who I have not seen since 2010, was visiting family and was able to meet up with our group for the Fest Mile. There really is no better way, I think, to ring in the New Year with festivities. Though the party was crazy and the whole night just seemed like a night of anarchy and revelry, the songs that rang throughout the streets, the dancing that clutched everyone, and the fireworks that blazed the night sky for moments at a time definitely put the fest in Fest Mile. 
Beethoven's House in Bonn.
Overall with how my view of Germany has developed, it is not completely what the stereotypes would portray it as except for the food, which is totally by tradition, pork and potatoes. It is a modern and developed country that has its traditions fairly locked into place and its modernisms ever-changing. The medical system in Germany is extremely modern and seems like something that America could learn from as America has the highest medical costs of any country but does not have the best statistics in infant mortality and such and I only hope to witness more on this topic while I am here. It has been a great experience so far to witness all of this for myself and I am glad to have spent the New Year Day in another country like Germany. The gigantic celebration was definitely a highlight of the trip so far. It feels strange that it is already 2013 already. Another year has past just as the year before and it seems like this time of the year comes around way too quickly every year. Time plays a fickle game with us. It is just year after year and I suppose it is up to us to make something of the time we have here on this planet. All the losses, struggles, and victories of the year, though not completely forgotten, will seemingly fade away just a bit, and I, like many out there, could use a new year with a clean slate.

No comments: