Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Leo Zingg's Bonn Update

Guten Tag!  BLOG FROM LEO ZINGG!
Time period from arrival until new year's party:

The flight to Frankfurt was great! I did not sleep at all but I was lucky enough to
share the long flight with Monica, Kitty, and Ariana. I am so happy I was wrong to
think the cold here would be unbearable. When we arrived we could be outside
with a light sweater so it was smooth coming in. I have had a great time learning a
little of everything, drinking, hanging out with everyone, exploring, eating, etc etc.
Oh yeah, it has also been funny to see how in basically every tour that we have
received there has been people tagging along.

From a thought initially planted by Dr. Wasser, there is definitely a post World
War II sentiment in this country. The nazis left a scar that will never be forgotten
in this country or the rest of the world. It is amazing to see how Germans act
and how much they have tried to make up for what has been done in the past.
However, as mentioned by the tour guide in the Elde Haus museum in Cologne,
what has happened cannot be changed and the country has to move ahead with a
positive mentality. The Cathedral Kolner Dom was amazing. It is unbelievable to
think construction for the cathedral began in 1248 and continued for 100 years!
It has an amazing history and I am extremely glad it was not destroyed in the war.
What a wonderful place full of history and pride it brings me for being a Catholic
as well.

I am extremely excited for Berlin and the new year!! I want to commit a little
more time to learning Deutsche, getting to know everyone a little more
personally, and keeping it real! As we continue traveling to Berlin on the ICE train
or Deutschebahn, it is clear the country invests in these forms of transportation
more than car highways.

Finally, there have been some things I did not expect from here. Alcohol, more so
beer, is extremely normal here. It is normal in most parts of the world but in
Germany kids as young as 16 can drink, one can drink while walking on the
streets, riding the train, just about anywhere! I am also surprised to see many
German words being similar to the English version of them, to see dogs nearly
everywhere, all the graffiti, and fortunately a slightly warmer weather than I was
expecting. thanks Aaron for letting me post through your account.

No comments: