Sunday, January 13, 2013

Leo Zingg - Finishing Strong

 By LEO ZINGG


 As the program comes to an end, I can't believe classes will begin on Monday and
everything will be so different. From following a strict schedule from city to city
and moving in big group everywhere to being on my own again in College Station
will be a sudden change. Our free weekend in Munich was well spent. We visited
the concentration camp in Dachau, ate in Augustiner Keller, and followed on to,
hopefully spelled, Haubraunhuf. Most of the weekend felt like it went by in the
train which I didn't like much because I can rarely be completely comfortable
while moving somewhere. While in Hannover, listening to the doctors in the
hospital, visiting the zoo, learning about the Mexican Axolotl used for research of
tissue or organ regeneration via the AmbLOXe method, and other ventures made
the short stay a comfortable one.

Now outside of Germany and in Austria, the city of Vienna holds an immense
amount of history, class, and pioneering in the medical field. The initial tour left
me amazed of the grandeur and secrets held in almost every other corner. As a
pre-med Psychologist, I loved being present in the house where Freud spent most
of his life, initialized much work in psychoanalysis and the interpretation of
dreams, and had his own practice.Visiting the Pfizer company which I wasn't too
familiar with was very interesting and fun to learn about. The food has been
outstanding, the snowing, the hotel, basically everything. I don't want the study
abroad to end but sometimes the cold makes me want to be back in a Texas
summer. It will be weird returning to a place where we understand everything.

No comments: