Sunday, August 01, 2010

Vienna

Wednesday July 21st

On the way back from Switzerland we took a night train which was an experience worth having. We had no idea what to do so thankfully we had patient ladies with us to explain. Once in Vienna the hotel had 2 of the 4 rooms ready so we split up boys and girls and got ready for the day. We walked around Vienna a bit and napped until we met Suzanne and her two kids, Felix and Sophie (cutest kids ever). She walked us around Vienna and we got a great schnitzel in town! Things aren’t as expensive here as Switzerland so it’s quite refreshing.

Our hotel is crazy hot so we have to leave the windows open at all times. Needless to say this morning I woke up to the sounds of cars driving by and the sunrays. It was really pretty, in a different way. Busy city! You can hear every noise on the street from our room so it’s more like a noise machine. I kinda like it. We headed down to breakfast where I had honey for the first time in Europe! We had a tour in the city and got stuck in an elevator! It was just for about 10 minutes which was enough b/c there were 11 of us in a tiny glass elevator and we could see the glass fogging up. Anywho an experience to have! It felt great to get out finally! Then we ate at the famous Café Korb. I ordered my first salad from a menu ever and it was fried chicken (not too thick batter) and was delicious!! The girls and I made a list of Europe vs. USA strengths. After that we went to the Sigmund Freud museum and toured the cathedral and catacombs. It was eerie b/c it was where a ton of bodies were thrown. Morbid. We went to the opera in the evening and it was so much fun! I didn’t think they would have English subtitles but they kind of let you know what was going on.

The next day we went on a tour in a museum and saw the cemetery of many people. It was huge. After we had probably the best schnitzel I’ve had so far! They also served this super tasty soup w/ what looked like kix in it. Tasted kind of like ramen. Nom. After we had a break so Claire and I decided to get laundry done. It was like a sauna in there! The characters we met were interesting to say the least, too! A crazy senile Arabian man tried to steal my detergent and change, but no worries because I fended him off with my best facial expressions to let him know what I was thinking. Fight crazy with crazy? Yes. For dinner we went to a micro brewery that was quite tasty!

No comments: