Saturday, August 21, 2010

Last official week in Bonn July 26-30

We were all relived to be back in Bonn after two straight weeks of traveling and living out of a suitcase. One of my favorite days of the whole trip was this week when we went to Bacharach, which was about an hour away from Bonn. It was very picturesque with all these cute old houses and buildings with the hills in the background with vineyards on them. The oldest house was from 1368. We took a cruise on the Rhine and saw Castles and little towns that would be on the edge of the Rhine. Then we ate schnitzel at Hotel Rheintal. There was this cute old couple that ran the place and a vineyard all by themselves. We then wehnt to Marksburg castle. It is one of the only castles that is original and hasn't been rebuilt to look like the typical castle. It was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Then we went back to Hotel Rheintal and had a wine tasting. Nils taught us that when you swish the wine around you are looking for how slowly the wine drips back down the glass, the slower the more alcohol is in the wine. And when you tilt the glass you look at the color on the top of the wine to tell the age of the wine. And then you smell and taste the notes in the wine. We tried 5 different wines. I think Shayna liked the rolls in between the wine the best :) It was a great day.
We went also went to a great musuem in Bonn, one of our favorites, and to the Cologne zoo.
I spent my weekend in Bonn and Muelheim with my host family and Simone.
I will miss Bonn so much. I have gotten to the point where I know where I am going there and how to get around and feel like I am at "home" in a sense.

No comments: