Saturday, August 21, 2010

Vienna and Prague- Week 4

Vienna is beautiful like you would expect. I think one of my favorite things about Vienna was all the cute cafes. We ate at Cafe Korb where I did not enjoy my meal too much but enjoyed my dessert wine and pastry very much :). It was mentioned by Shayna that I always seem to pick the bad meal and told me she never orders what I order. I wish this would have been brought up sooner and I would have stopped picking my own meals a long time ago! Haha. We visited the Vienna Cathedral, which doesn't compare to the Cologne Cathedral, nothing does. We went into the Catacombs which was kind of creepy, but more neat than anything. It was kind of crazy to see tons of bones just laying in a mass grave. The tour guide with the awful accent told us that at one point prisoners had to sort through the bones and one mass grave had all the bones sorted and neatly stacked...weird. Another one of my favorite things was going to see Fledermaus, an Operetta. We all got pretty and walked around the city for 30 minutes trying to find the Opera House. I had to ditch my shoes about 10 minutes into our trek. Lesson learned...no heals in Europe...ever. It was in German but easy to follow the scenes. It was a humorous play and very animated. They sang so beautifully as well. During intermission we all went outside and enjoyed a glass of champagne. It was a really great opportunity and experience to get to see an opera in Vienna.

My advice to anyone who travels to Prague is to not arrive when it is raining and at night. Their public transportation is not as advanced as rest of Europe apparently and the trams are not even labeled, nor is there a map with the tram route on it. So we all just hopped on one just to see where it would take us, since we had no other option. It seemed to be going in the wrong direction so we got off, into the rain, and got on a different one going the other direction. Eventually we got off of that tram and stood in the rain for a little while and then just got cabs. We were surprisingly close to our hostel haha. Prague had the best food, and cheap! We loved it. We had our own room at the hostel and all went to eat the first night then went back to the room and chilled for rest of the night. We only had one full day in Prague and we decided to just walk around and enjoy our time and see where we wound up. We had a very nice day an saw beautiful things. It was very touristy and jam packed with tourists, mostly Asians, everywhere. Kavi got some great photo ops of Asians I am sure. It was one of my favorite weekend days. That night we went on a pub crawl. When we first got there, I thought oh great. There was about 150 people in one pre-party room, the floor was sticky, and they were serving cheap cheap liquor. But it turned out to be a great night with the gang. We met some interesting people but mostly just enjoyed our time with each other :) Chavi stayed behind and rest of us left around 3 and made it back around 4. We had to leave to catch our train at 5am so it was about an hour nap that night. We all found our own little sleeper rooms. Claire and I shared one and slept pretty peacefully. I think we have spent a fair amount of time sleeping on trains.

I enjoyed Vienna and Prague very much. I think we all got closer as a group around this time...awwwwww. :)

No comments: