Sunday, August 01, 2010

Back in Bonn!

Wednesday July 28, 2010

We barely slept Saturday night because we had a train very early Sunday morning. We made the train and got home pretty early in the day so we had lots of free time. It was nice.

On Monday we had to be to the train station early today to get in to watch some surgeries at the Universitat Klinic in Bonn. I paired up with Nils and Kathryn. We saw an old woman who broke her arm. They “casted” it by placing 3 pins in her elbow to keep it together but to still let her move it. Apparently being able to move it helps it heal better. So they pulled the pins out of her elbow. Twas neat. We then took about a 30 minute break before heading back in to a man who was cut twice in the arm: Once right by his thumb and the other further down the forearm on the opposite side. He couldn’t curl his thumb so they were looking for the tendon that was responsible for that movement. Assuming it would be from the cut by the thumb, they opened there and searched but all tendons were in place. This is ironic because that means the cut way down his arm sliced it enough to affect his thumb! After the surgeries we headed to Haribo in the rain and had fun with all the candies they had there.

Tuesday we had breakfast and I realized I’m almost out of jelly (jar #2)...but I mean I don’t think I’m the only one that eats it…I hope. We caught a train and arrived in Bacharach. The houses there were so cute! We went on a Rhine Cruise and walked to a place JW knew and had lunch. There were 3 people that made lunch just for us! We all had schnitzel with 2 different types of sauce. One was mushroom-ey and the other was a tobassco-ey one that wasn’t hot at all. I liked both so I evenly split my schnitzel in 2 and had 50/50. Afterwards we headed to the Marksburg Castle. It was actually a really cool castle! I learned a lot from it. Afterwards we went back to the restaurant with only 3 people where we had a personalized wine tasting! All were Rieslings and apparently started from worst and worked up to the best. The first tasted the best to me which tells you how much I know about wine.

On Wednesday we had a few lectures, German class, ate some Sushi (nom), and saw an anesthesiology museum. It was pretty neat. There was a lot of EMT stuff there that I thought was cool to see evolve. Claire and I decided to look in the Galleria grocery store for some of the meal things we’ll need for Sunday. We found taco kits! AND muffin batter! But I decided not to get the muffin batter because it’ll taste that much better in USA cuddled up in a comfy bed J SO excited for that. Today I’ve really been missing Texas and all that entails it. I ended up just getting honey, more jelly, and tortillas. The tortillas ended up being kinda gross but still edible (I had one once we got home). We went on an adventure to a store called Metero with James (our host dad). It’s like Sams/Costco over here. All in all a good day!

No comments: