Saturday, August 28, 2010

Entry from Thursday July 29, 2010

This has been a very eventful week! On Monday I got to see 2 surgeries at the Universitaat with Claire and Dr. Wasser! The orthopedic surgeons were very nice and informative. they really seemed glad we were there and interested. The first surgery was on a muscle flap on the leg of a motorcycle crash victim. It was hard to see what the surgeon was doing exactly but it was cool seeing him move the muscle and cutting skin and tissue. The second surgery was a wrist plate for a woman with a broken wrist. It is evidently a very common procedure and the doctor made it look very routine. They used intra operative x-ray to get the placement of the plate correct. I thought it was interesting how in America, the patient would leave the plate in the rest of her life, whereas this lady will probably come back to take it out because her insurance covers it. Later we had our last classes from Toure and Fenja. They were awesome and I'm going to miss them.
Tuesday we went to Bacharach. The boat ride was pretty cold and windy. I shouldn't have worn shorts. But once we got up to Marksburg Castle it heated up again. The tour of the castle was fun and the wine tasting after was cool. I didn't purchase any wine because I don't consider myself worthy. I am not yet a wine connoisseur.
The anesthesiology museum yesterday was interesting. I could tell that Dr. Stocki was very passionate about his profession...something I hope will happen to me.
Today's movies on the Berlin Wall made me look forward to next week. It is sad that our time in Bonn is almost over :( All of us students enjoyed our last time together at a Bonn biergarten on the Rhine. I need to cherish the rest of the time I have here in Germany!!

No comments: