Saturday, August 28, 2010

Entry from Friday July 23, 2010

Vienna!!! This week we ventured the great Austrian city of Vienna. Some highlights include Freud's house, Lippizzaner stallions, catacombs of Stepansdom, an operetta about a frog, a huge cemetary (and I mean HUGE), and the Josephinum and Narrenturm. We also visited a very nice neurological center. The hotel Lenas was very nice (but still not air conditioned) and they had a good breakfast. Dr. Rainer's wife's sister was so nice to show us around her home city and her kids were very entertaining. I hate to admit it, but that first day we were there was the first time I had tasted schnitzel since I have been abroad! It was Kalb (calf) and it was delicious. I really enjoyed seeing Freud's actual work place! He was a very impressive man. Although Dr. Wasser tried to explain it, I still don't understand the idea of being a Jewish Atheist. Oh well, to each his own! The catacombs at the cathedral were very impressive. I could see a ton of skeletons and it was cold and wet and creepy. It's interesting that there is church services going on above us
I didn't want to tell anybody, but the operetta was totally confusing to me. Maybe I'm just slow when it comes to plots, but the combination of little sleep and a glass of champagne at intermission caused me to doze off for the frog scene. The rest of it was very entertaining though, and I'm glad I got to experience it!
Finally, today we saw the Rosen Hugel Neurological center. It was such a nice facility, we were joking about checking a room out there instead of hotel Lenas! Vienna was great and filled with history and wonder. I can't wait to see what Prague has in store. Until next time!
tschus! Michael McCarroll

No comments: