Monday, December 31, 2007

I hope that I don't offend anyone...

Expanding on my last blog, I have been very surprised at the reaction of most of the Germans that I have met in my attempts to speak German. Dr. Wasser had mentioned that most Germans will help you to speak German and are relatively pleased when you at least make the effort, but I didn't expect such positive reinenforcement and encouragement. So far, when I have had the courage to attempt to speak German I have either been politely corrected or recieved positive encouragement. This has boosted some of my confidence and made me a little bit more outgoing.

In most situations I am still a little embarassed and worried that I will just come across as an a##, but I think that learning some of the language is part of the abroad experience. I guess that I just need to suck it up and feel stupid for a few weeks and hope that I don't offend anyone.

No comments: