Friday, December 28, 2007

First Impressions

Well, I'm finally here, Duesseldorf. It all seems so unreal, but to be honest I couldn't be happier. Well, that's not true, I would like to meet a nice frauline...

Anyway, I am truly happy to be here. Flying here was an absolute hell though. I managed to stay awake for about 60 hours before I finally was able to crash. But our first day was worth the pain. Getting to know everyone and touring the city was an experience to remember. I now know what Dr. Wasser meant when he said we'd be surrounded by culture. Duesseldorf is nothing like I have seen in the US; you can't walk 4 steps without encountering some form of public art. The people here, while curt, are very real. This is a refreshing change from the phonies back home.

I was quite amazed at the food here as well. My dad made it seem that Germans do not put much effort into cuisine, but that is so not true at all. I've had two fantastic meals while I've been here. Maybe it was because my dad was in bavaria for a year, I don't know. I also have to say that the breakfast here in the hotel is the best I've had.

Our second day was even better. Our group got to go to the zoo. The animals were facinating and we had the rare opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the animals. I was literally a meter from an elephant and some bears. After the zoo, we toured Köln. It wasn't as fun but that might have been due to how painful it became to walk after doing so much that morning.

The highlight of the day was when the entire group went out drinking. It was the most fun I've had in a long time, even though I capped myself at two drinks. I got to know my classmates better and I'm a better person for the experience.

It's hard to imagine how any of this could get better, but I know that it will. I could get used to another two weeks of this.

No comments: