Friday, June 26, 2015

Here Comes the Bonn

I’ve never been out of the country before. I’ve been to Canada, Mexico, and some islands in the Caribbean, but do those really count? Never before have I flown across an entire ocean to reach my destination. The longest flight I was on was from Dallas to Boston. I haven’t seen the great chapels in Europe. But the other day I drove by a Catholic church that was built 20 years ago. I am truly thrilled by the prospect of traveling to Europe, yet I am still apprehensive.


I expect that the culture will be different, but the differences will be many and subtle. And quite honestly, I have no idea what these differences will be. Of course I am aware of the stereotypes of ubiquitous beer and soccer-viewing, but I do not buy into them. One thing I expect positively is the difference in health standards. Europe supposedly has a substantially lower percentage of overweight/obese people. I also expect there to be a smaller amount of chain restaurants. When I walk down the streets in Bonn I doubt to see a Taco Bell, a Denny’s, and a KFC all on the same strip. The buildings in European cities should be older and richer in history than those in the United States. And that’s not so much of an expectation as it is a fact.

Perhaps the thing I am most apprehensive about is the culture shock. Supposedly language barriers never present much of a problem because most Germans can speak English, but it still makes me nervous. What if I can’t understand their English? Also I hear that young Europeans tend to dress better than most young Americans. I am the type of guy who wears t-shirts and shorts regularly, so I am a little anxious about my prospective fashion choices. Those are my main worries, but overall I am way more excited than I am worried.

No comments: