Sunday, June 28, 2015

Anxious but Excited

I am super excited to explore Germany! However, I would be lying if I didn't say that I was also pretty anxious about this trip. I have always been a homebody and a trip like this is stepping out of my comfort zone. I am uncomfortable traveling without my friends or family, I am uncomfortable about flying alone for the first time, but I know that it will all be worthwhile when I get to Bonn. My parents haven't helped either because while they know that I will be safe, I can't go a day without getting paranoid warnings like "be careful! There are illegal drugs in Amsterdam!". Even with all these anxieties, I have wanted to go to Germany for a long time and I cannot wait to be immersed in the culture and see the sites.

I am also excited because I truly have no idea what to expect. The only other time I have been out of the country was when I went to Mexico when I was five. Five year old me didn't fully appreciate the experience but now that I have a little more life experience, I can't wait to just absorb all that I can while I am there. I could write a book on what I want to see in Germany. I want to see the castles, forests, paintings, cities, and everything else that I can in the month that I am there. However, what I truly and utterly pumped up to see is Salzburg because of The Sound Of Music. My entire family knows every song and site from that movie and to actually be where they filmed is something I can cross off my bucket list. Also, fun fact, the iconic first scene in the movie where Maria is twirling on the mountains is actually filmed in Germany, not Austria. I am eager to learn more about medicine too and the history behind some of the major innovations in medicine. I want to learn more about the different plagues and diseases that motivated people to create new ways to treat patients. Also, to be in a place where these many major plagues and breakthroughs took place excites me and makes me feel like I was a part of that history. 

While I am overall excited, other than being anxious about traveling, I also have some anxieties about being in another country. One is because I am not very assertive, and will just take what ever is given to me. So if I am ever eating at a restaurant and they give me something that I didn't order, most likely I will just keep it and say nothing so that I don't bother them. On the plus side, I will probably try a lot of new things that I wouldn't otherwise. I am also worried that I will look just silly or out of place, but I have already taken precaution and am leaving my fanny pack behind. Last thing I am anxious about is packing, because I am a very talented over packer. I have been tested while I have packed for this trip because I keep trying to pack things that I can get while once I am there, even if it is not the same brand. Otherwise, I think I am ready. 

I am excited to meet everyone and my home stay family. This is going to be awesome! 

No comments: