Thursday, July 08, 2010

What has happened so far...

So I got here a day later than everyone else, and it took me a while to catch up, but I am now up to speed. I am glad that I got the host family that I did. They are very accomadating and nice. I am looking forward to getting to know them better. I am trying to learn more German, so that I can communicate more easily with people. My pronounciation is not very good, so people have a difficult time understanding what I am saying. So far I my favorite things that I have done are: touring the Köln cathedral, the Gestapo headquarters, and the street party that we went to after the soccer game. The history of the cities we have visited has been staggering. It is exciting to walk through buildings that are thousands of years old.
I have met several Germans my age, and I have enjoyed visiting with them. Hopefully I will make some friends in a new country. I have noticed some cultural differences, and I am trying to change some of the things I do that are customary in America but make me stand out here. It seems people are able to identify me as an American pretty quickly and while it is kind of funny how much we all stick out; I would like to learn to blend in better.

No comments: