Thursday, July 08, 2010

Thus far..

So far Germany has been everything I've expected and some. However, I must admit arriving with no luggage,  3 hours of sleep on a cramped plane and catching the wrong train to Bonn my attitude was a little sour. Although once I recharged my battery with 10plus hours of sleep and refueled with some fine German food\beverages I have had nothing but a positive outlook.
We have already taken a few city tours of Bonn and Cologne, and they are absolutely beautiful cities. Yesterday we toured the Cathedral in Cologne and  a Cologne medical school anatomy lab. While I'm not an extremely religious person, the architectural feat of the cathedral itself was breathtaking. I have been to the pyramids in Egypt and the ancient civilization of Machu Pichu in Peru, and I must say that the Cathedral in Cologne was comparable engineering\architectural accomplishment. The history of Germany is a fascinating subject and I looking forward to learning more about the country where many of my ancestors originated. 
Communicating with the locals has been somewhat difficult considering my limited German vocabulary. Today we have another lesson with Fenja and Im hoping to expand my German dialogue from two phrases to maybe four or five. Although the Germans have been eliminated from the World Cup I still have a positive outlook. Fortunately for us, the Netherlands are in the championship and we will be going to Amsterdam this weekend. I am having a great time and I am really looking forward to this weekend of travel. Until next time... Auf wiedersehen    

No comments: