Tuesday, July 13, 2010

End of week one and weekend 1

This weekend we headed to Amsterdam where I learned a few things. Once outside of the trainstation I felt like everyone was waiting to steal everything from me. Didn’t seem safe at all. We got lost a bit but eventually made it to our hotel (hallelujiah!). It is sooo nice and feels great to have a bed and a safe house from the scary town. We went out to get some Italian food (baked ravioli and white wine), visited a coffee shop, and went to bed. I slept great in the ACed room with everything included! The next morning we met up with the girls and found a tasty breakfast place right by the Tulip Market that had good eggs and “pancakes”. The “pancakes” were very flat and the syrup really ruined it cuz it was thick and not …Americany. We then looked a little at the tulip market and headed on to the Van Gogh Museum, which I LOVED! I wrote down many paintings I liked for my future home J. At this point I feel like I’m standing all day long and am quite self conscious about my legs going numb and which one to lean on/ the varicose veins I am inevitably encouraging all day. Then we went back to the hotel where we found the boys. We cooled off and went to the red light district where there we sad people and "ladies of the night" galore. Super depressing. Then we went to see the “pretty section” of the town which looked kinda just like the rest of the town. Then I was tired of walking with my flip flops even though a skirt was the perfect thing to wear with a tank top for the day! Anywho my feet hurt so I went back to the hotel and chilled with the boys and waited for the other 3 girls to get back from buying their tulip goodies. We then went to dinner at a small restaurant and I got a cheeseburger that was super delicious! The waiter ripped us off (they're much different in Europe than America). He used his “not good” English to not take a Coke light off the bill. We then went back to the hotel (still super nice..thanks Kavi) and just kinda chilled for the night.

The next morning I met up with the other girls and Kavi (funny sentence) and ate breakfast. I got egg, ham, and cheese on a “roll” which was more of a sub. We then caught a train out of Amsterdam to Eindhoven, then to (coughcough) Venlo (where we got terrible directions on there being two platform 1As and ended up going back to Eindhoven on accident, then found our way back to Venlo, adding 3 hours to our time). Once we were back in Venlo we understood correctly and took a train to Dusseldorf then back to Bonn just in time for dinner. My host mom made a steak with veggies that was quite delicious. The perfect ending to an interesting adventurous weekend!

No comments: