Friday, July 30, 2010

Week in Hannover week of 7/12/2010

We have been travelling non stop so I am starting this blog with the week we went to Hannover. 

On Monday we went to Drachenfels. This is a little mountain with ruins on the top. It was about a 30-45 minute hike and once you reached the top, it felt great and you could see all of Bonn. The ruins have been there since the 12th century. At the top we had snacks and all joked as a group and enjoyed our time together. Within 5 minutes you could see rain clouds coming in and the weather changed instantly. We got rained on during the hike down but it cooled everything off. 

On Tuesday we left early to go to Hannover. I really liked Hannover and everything that we did. We went to the Nephrology center and got to see a dialysis treatment in action. We also got to volunteer to sample our blood and I found out I am a little anemic! Good to know I guess. The doctor who took us around was a great doctor and made everything so interesting. He really enjoyed his work and it showed. We also visited the vet school. I really liked this day. I saw a dog that looked just like Blue and it made me miss him! I wanted to pet all of the dogs, but I managed to refrain myself. It was neat to learn all that they do as vets. They even do hip replacements. As a vet you get a lot of experience with surgery, which is different that I previously thought. I think I would make a good vet. Later we went to the horse center and then the cattle clinic. This was really neat. We saw a cow get her hoof amputated. She was completely awake and just in a barn looking area with doctors in rain boots performing a surgery. It was really neat. Then we got to do rectal exams on a poor cow that got stabbed in the artery by Kavi. This was really neat though and we all enjoyed sticking our arms in the butt of a cow. It was fun to experience some "hands on" action, literally. We got some great pictures out of it too :). 

On one of our free afternoons we hung out by the lake and look a very relaxing nap. It was nice to be by a body of water. Then we rented paddle boats and raced around. At one point someone started yelling German at us and we asked for them to tell us in English and they said, "please leave". It was so funny, I think they meant move instead of leave haha. Hopefully. 
Hannover seemed smaller and quitter than Bonn. Each German city is so different. It was a great week though. We went home to Bonn on Thursday to pack for the next two weeks that we would be gone to Switzerland, Vienna, then Prague. My host family made me some Arabic rice for dinner when I got home Thursday. It was great, I miss rice for some reason. I get to experience a lot of culture with my host family. 

No comments: