Friday, July 09, 2010

First few days

Well a  LOT has happened so far. I wouldn't say we necessarily had culture shock coming in. People are people so things were about the same. Number 1 difference? There's zero AC in Germany. But this isn't so bad because we've only had 2 really hot days thus far. I'd say the thing I like most so far is that I don't have to drive at all and nearly every meal is outside. My room is in the basement so the sun doesn't bother me in the morning. However when I go to eat breakfast it's quite bright! The streets are getting more familiar and I can almost navigate my way around confidently. Our host family is amazing! They're very friendly and take care of us a lot.
We rode the train for the first time this week so that was prettz neat. I have zet to take a taxi but i hear thezäre prettz expensive so I really donät mind that. I ride the bus everzdaz for about half an hour to get to class and thereäs alwazs a new "scent" on the bus. I find Europeans are much less religious with wearing deoderant. zum. 
I really thought the food would be worse than it is. We had schnitzel yesterday which was different but not bad. There's one million pizza shops and bakeries are everywhere which is nice because it makes everything smell delicious. We tried gelato in Cologne and it was quite tasty. I know I'll survive because if i have a craving for American there's still McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and Subways. 
The sun doesn't go down until around 10 o'clock so the days are very sunny and long. That's pretty nice. I'm feeling very tired this week. Hopefully my body is still just trying to adjust to the time difference. Maybe I'll catch up on sleep this weekend, although it's Amsterdam so I doubt it. I'll let you know how that goes soon.

No comments: