Friday, January 21, 2011

Otto Bock and Copenhagen

The concentration camp on Thursday was extremely interesting. I had never been to one before, I had only heard of the horrors that had occurred there. It was moving to be in the same place that all these atrocities had occurred, and seeing a clinic where they had basically tortured people was interesting. I would be very interested to visit another camp such as Auschwitz, were even more people had been killed.

Otto Bock was really cool. I think that my perspective on it will probably be a little bit different than the vast majority of the group simply because I am not a biomedical engineering major. I was very interested by the surgery that could possibly be required to assist the transition into one of the more advanced prosthetics. I also wonder if it is now common practice in an amputation surgery to re-route the nerves so that prosthetics like theirs couple be easier to adapt to.

The second weekend we went to Copenhagen, Denmark which is another amazing city. While it was expensive, more so than I had expected even, my only major complaint is that it was winter. The city would be incredible to visit during the summer, when the water isn’t frozen and you can go for a swim. The walk by the river is really cool with all the different colored houses and little shops to run into. A lot of the food we ate in Copenhagen was from bakeries, primarily because it was cheap, but also because the food served there was excellent. I really hope that I can come back one day when I have a bit more money, and when the weather is warmer.

No comments: