Monday, January 17, 2011

Blog 6: My Final Thoughts

Our time in Europe was an experience that is unparalleled. Yes, the places were amazing, but the people were even more extraordinary. It is funny because a month ago, I barely knew many of these people – we were just acquaintances that were in many of the same classes. After spending three solid weeks with everybody, I feel like we have been friends for years and I cannot imagine spending such a wonderful time with anyone else. Dr. Wasser, Nils, and the AIB staff truly did an unbelievable job with the program. They make learning fun!!!

The most important part of the trip for me was the observation of a bypass procedure. While I have no desire to become a surgeon, my greatest interest, as well as my current research, is in cardiovascular systems. Being able to finally see the heart pumping up close and personal completely changes my perspective on this system and motivates me even more in my research.

As far as my education is concerned, I still plan on attending graduate school to further my studies in biomedical engineering. However, this trip did make me realize that the medical school path would be fitting for me as well. I loved our hospital visits, but I loved the Otto Bock tours even more. In the end, part of me wants to go to medical school, but a bigger part of me wants to stay with biomedical engineering. I want to be in the middle of an ever-growing field as we approach greater advances in technology. I want to be the biomedical engineer that advances medical technology. I want to be the biomedical engineer that finds the next great solution.

A special thanks to Dr. Wasser. You provided the opportunity for a unique study abroad experience that no other teacher in this world could ever do. I am just jealous I cannot go for an entire semester. But who knows; maybe I will be the TA for one of your programs in the future.

No comments: