Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 15

Location: Hannover, Niedersachsen, Deutschland

I am posting my next blog early for two reasons:

1) Tomorrow during regular posting hours, we will be travelling to Vienna.
2) TODAY WAS THE DAY OF THE VET!!!!

Yes, you heard that right! Today was all about the vet kids. Sure, all of the pre-med students and bioengineers went elsewhere for the morning, but for the afternoon, we were all one big happy family.

The morning began way too early. I mean, before even the sun rose. Due to the odd nature of our trip, Visanny and I went with a new AIB coordinator to Hannover University's brand new state-of-the-art Center for Horses where veterinary students learn about equine medicine. This (aside from the food) is why I came onto this trip and I tried to memorize every little detail. I was facinated by everything being done in what felt more like a hospital than a vet clinic. One thing that I noticed about German veterinarians compared to those that I know in Texas, Germans are more direct. For instance, examining a horse with collic. An American vet would normally wrap the tail to avoid hairs getting into the rectum. The German doctor did not bother. Another "directness" came when they drew blood from another horse for testing. They began by finding a vein, placing a needle into it, and drawing blood into a purple capped testtube. All are things American vets would do. Then, as they needed blood in much smaller tubes, they placed them under the needle. The vets that I have worked under would normally draw this blood into a syrenge and have an assistant (usually me) carefully add the blood to the small tubes from there.

Next came the afternoon where the two groups were reunited. Now came MY part of the trip. The great, most wonderful and fantastic part of this entire trip: a visit to the cattle clinic. I could barely contain my excitement at actually getting to learn something about German cattle. Turns out, that the German cattle industry and the American cattle industry, while remaining vastly different, have much in common. Throughout the tour, I was so alert and attentive, staying at the front of the group, asking questions, scratching the cows, d'awwing at the calves, and always with this massive ridiculous grin on my face. The doctor who was giving the tour was so excited to hear that, not only were there two vet students in the group, but one of them (me) wants to go into large animal/bovine medicine.

This (especially the afternoon) has been, by far, the best part of this entire trip! I have much to process when I return to the States. But first... one last day in Hannover and then, VIENNA!

No comments: