Sunday, January 02, 2011

Days 5, 6, & 7 (Free Weekend 1)

Location: Berlin, Deutschland


Here I blog; I can write no other. Anonymous help me.


OK, probably disrespectful to start out a piece with a parody of the greatest words from the mouth of Martin Luther, but I don't think he would have a problem with it.

This was the first "free weekend" in Germany. And lucky for us, it began on New Years Eve. The day began with us hopping onto a train for Berlin. I've go to say, out of all the ways to travel so far on this trip, train is by far the best. For the evening and the countdown, we went to the Brandenburg Gate for the massive festivities held there. It was facinating to see people from all over the world gather in a place like Berlin to celebrate the comming of a new year. There were local Germans, distant Germans, Austrians, Poles, Russians, Scotsmen, English, Welsh, French, Italians, Turks, at least sixteen Texans and one David Hasselhoff.

After what might be an un-top-able New Year's Eve, most went to Prague for this weekend. I considered it, but I felt that, while in Germany and with some free time to do as I please, I should make a pilgrimage to the birthplace of my faith - Lutherstadt Wittenberg. Unscratched by the Second World War, this still small community is the foundating of all the works of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther. I was able to see the buildings of Wittenberg University (where Luther did his lectures and studying), the Melanchthonhaus (the house of Wittenberg's favored son Melanchthon), the Marktplatz und Altes Rathaus (a simply magnificant work that reminded me much of the Governors Mansion in Colonial Williamsburg), and the three churches - Schlosskirche (Castle Church where Luther posted the 95 Thesies), the Stadtkirche "St. Marien" (the State Church of Saint Mary where Luther preached), and the Kotholische Kirche (a newer small Catholic Church which, ironically, was more like a Protestant Church in the U.S.). I went to, and prayed in, all three churches. The two Protestant churches where what I expected and then some. It is so humbling and awe-inspiring to be in the place where, not only one's faith, but the entire modern Western thought, began. As for the Catholic Church, I did not even expect one to be in Wittenberg. One of the nuns was kind enough to let me in and after both of us had prayed, we had a conversation in German. That's right; I have never taken a German class and I can speak enough to talk to a nun who does not speak English, wishing one to go well with God to boot! Interestingly enough, when I mentioned that I was from Texas, she said she had a sister there (San Antonio, I think she said). I don't know if she meant blood sister or convent sister, but either way, it was cool. The evening was then spent in the Wittenberg Brauhaus, the sauna at the top floor of my hotel, and watching parts of "Maverick" and "Dances with Wolves" in German.

The next day, I had the final piece to my pilgrimage. I returned to the Stadtkirche and attended the service. The service was... different to say the least. I have grown up in the ELCA, the more liberal side of the American Lutheran churches, but I have attended several of the Missouri Synod services. This one was set up much like one from the ELCA, but the music was all simple notes like in the Missouri (I guess that is because Germans sing those best and Scandinavians think they can sing Baptist songs at 1000-nth of the normal pace). Now, I DON'T know enough German to understand what was said in the sermon, but I know enough to know it was about Joseph's side of Christmas and how we should trust in God, even when what we are told sounds impossible.

I am now back in Berlin, ready for another week of fun and medicine.

No comments: