Friday, January 21, 2011

No Snow in Hannover

We arrived in Hannover late on Sunday night and had to walk down the street for several minutes before we realized a key difference from every other city we had been in, there was no snow. There was actually grass to be seen. It took us a little while to find the hotel, though in hindsight it might not have been that long, just the walk with forty pounds of luggage made it seem long.

The visit to the Hannover medical school was very interesting. Hearing the differences between the U.S. and German systems was very informative. I enjoyed hearing the opinion of someone who knew each system so well. The cattle clinic was also fun. I did not like the smell of some of the areas, but the cows were fun to see, the it was disappointing that I did not get to shove my hand inside of one.

The visit to Bad Oeynhausen was really cool. I was interested in the presentation we saw in the morning on the genetics of AVRC. I thought it was really cool because it was what I had learned in my classes in a practical setting. Open heart surgery was very interesting to see. I had never seen a human heart beating inside of someone, and that was really neat to see. The overnight train to Vienna was different to say the least. The compartments were really cramped, but that was expected. I was able to sleep well but had to adjust my posture because I could not spread out like I do on a normal bed. Nonetheless, we arrived in Vienna well rested to take on the day.

No comments: