Saturday, December 25, 2010

Preliminary Post

I cannot believe that the time has actually come. I am actually going to Germany!! The first time I had heard about this trip was freshman year in our introduction to Biomedical engineering course with Dr. Fernandez. Dr. Wasser gave a brief presentation on the program and his physiology class. I was sold. I knew that I wanted to study abroad during my four years here and this was the perfect opportunity. I had never thought of going to Germany though. However, when I learned more about the program and what we were going to be doing I knew that this was the program that I wanted.

Even though I am very excited about the trip, there are many things that I am worried about. What if I miss my plane? What if I get lost? I cannot speak German so how will I ask for help? What if my luggage gets stolen? What if I get hurt? What if I did not bring enough clothes? This whole trip is a new adventure for me. It is a once in a lifetime experience that I intend to make the most of. I have never travelled overseas, been north of Amarillo, Texas, been to another country, travelled without my family, and I have never been on a plane. That’s a lot of first for this one trip!!

Although I have many worries, I am confident that I am prepared for this trip. The preliminary meetings with Dr. Wasser and going with people that I know have eased most of my anxiety. I am very excited to actually go abroad for the first time. I have my camera ready, bags packed, jacket out, hand warmers in my pocket, and passport in my hand. Ready, or not, here I come.

By: Kelli Martinez

No comments: