Saturday, December 25, 2010

Is it the 26th Already?!

Merry Christmas! Since the start of Fall semester I have been anticipating this trip, watching time slowly count down to today. Now that today has arrived, I wait anxiously for tomorrow's departure. Did I forget to pack anything? What should I bring back as gifts for my relatives? Will I be able to navigate myself through the rail system and around the cities in my free time? How the heck will i communicate to those who don't speak English when a "translator" isn't present. And most importantly, Is it the 26th already? This is my first trip out of the country since 2000. I have never been further east than Orlando, or further north than Nebraska, so its time to bring on the the "uncharted" West Europe. I have had the experience of living in several countries but all of those where south of the border, so this will be a completely new experience for me.

Things I am looking forward to in this trip:
The Opera: This will be first trip to an Opera. I am one of few my age that love opera. The story, the orchestration and the atmosphere is something I cannot wait to experience live.

Copenhagen and Prague: Copenhagen was a choice decided on a whim. It's something that never occurred to me when I first heard about the trip. But upon hearing Dr. Wasser talk about Copenhagen, it occurred to me that this would be a perfect chance to step outside my "plans". As for Prague, my relatives are Czech, and I will be the first one in my immediate family to visit our "homeland". I cannot wait to experience the city and all its attractions.

Freetime in Berlin/Bonn/Vienna/Cologne:I have already marked some areas of interest for free time while I am in these cities. Some of the main attractions for me are the music shops. I will finally be able to try out some of the boutique music gear that is very hard to find in America

The Food and Drinks: I love to eat, and I'm always curious to see what other parts of the world eat. Expect my future blog post to contain a lot about foo and the drinks.

The Museums and Field Trips: This trip is all about learning about medicine and its history. What better place to learn than a museum and hospital? The doctor inside of me feels like a little kid on Christmas knowing the places we'll get to visit.

Expectations: As this trip is all about learning, I hope to take with me part of a new culture, new knowledge in the field of medicine and bioengineering, and a new appreciation for trying new things. Whatever the end result may be, I know It'll be one I'll cherish and remember for years to come.

Here's to a good trip! Thanks and Gig 'Em

No comments: