Sunday, December 26, 2010

Getting Ready to Take off

Howdy y'all! As of this post we are approximately six hours away from taking off which seems like a short amount of time until you realize that this trip has been for most of us has been in the process of planning for at least three or four months so six hours seems like no time at all! The past few days has been an absolute whirlwind of activity preparing for this trip. Between packing and Christmas shopping I feel like I may have been more busy now than I was during exam time (ok not true). It may come to a surprise to some people, but believe i or not living in Texas and Louisiana for all of my life I own next to no winter outfits so shopping for winter clothes by itself was a new experience for me.

I cannot wait to arrive in Germany and witness the amazing culture that we been learning about. For me in particular it will be an extremely interesting opportunity to understand a little more about European culture as a whole. I had the chance freshman year to go on a study abroad to Italy for three weeks which allowed to view a window into the Italian culture. In addition, here at home I have a significant relationship with a family that moved here from England so it will be interesting to juxtapose and compare the three different cultures. Knowing how easy it is to group all of the European countries together as one, I am looking forward to getting a better insight into the German culture.

I also cannot wait to view the landscape of Germany! To just be able to see snow on an everyday basis with mountains near you seems like a fairy tale dream for us in College Station. Though the thought of ten degree weather does scare me, the wonder of seeing such a beautiful and different countries excites me. Well, I had better get back to packing, only five and a half hours left before takeoff!

Gig 'em!

No comments: