Saturday, December 25, 2010

Great Expectations

Merry Christmas!!!!

With my bags finally packed and everything (hopefully) ready for the big trip, it’s starting to really sink in that I actually am leaving for Germany in the morning. I remember first hearing about this study abroad program on our first day of physiology in Dr. Wasser’s class and instantly wanting to go. I feel so blessed to have this opportunity and am incredibly excited to experience one of my best Christmas presents ever!

I do feel a little anxious about leaving the country though. I hope I packed correctly and haven’t forgotten anything major; but most importantly I guess I have my passport, so everything else I can buy in Germany! I am also worried about surviving in freezing weather and snow, coming from West Texas where I have rarely needed a jacket these past few weeks. I’ve been lucky enough to travel to Europe previously so I’m hoping I have enough experience to get by in a foreign country, but it is still an exciting new experience to be able to travel with this much freedom, especially when I can’t speak any German.

Over the next three weeks, I am very excited to experience a new culture, visit different sights and museums, taste German food and beer, and travel with new friends. I can’t wait to spend New Year’s Eve in Berlin on “the party mile” and for all of our free time off to explore in Bonn, Berlin, Hannover, and Vienna. I’m also very eager for our free weekends to visit Prague and Munich. Of course I am also excited to learn about the origin of medicine and the similarities and differences of medicinal practices between Germany and the States. One thing I am especially looking forward to experience is watching the cardiac surgery. I have never seen a surgery of any kind, let alone a heart surgery and am ready to learn more about these procedures.

Since I know that my family will be following this blog, I also have to say that I am so sad to be leaving them over the break and I promise to be safe and sensible. But please don’t cry Hannah and Mollie, I can email y’all occasionally while I’m abroad and will bring back plenty of gifts and chocolate for everyone.

With everything being said, I can’t wait to see everyone at the airport to begin our trip!
Thanks and Gig’em!

No comments: