Thursday, December 30, 2010

"It's been a Bonn time in Germany!"

Since being in Germany, I have loved being here! Even though it’s been very cold, I have loved all of the snow everywhere, the shops, the houses, but especially all of the food and beer. On our first night in Bonn, we all ate at a traditional Rheinish restaurant. There I had my first German meal of Bratwurst, sauerkraut, potatoes, and the house beer. I have also enjoyed all of the chocolate, gluvine, marzipan, and gelato!

My favorite thing I have done so far was witnessing my first surgery ever! Kate and I sat in on a knee replacement surgery. A women’s initial knee replacement had become infected and needed to be removed. A spacer was then put in and in 4-6 weeks a new knee joint will be put in again. There was a researcher in the room, who spoke English and was able to answer any questions we had regarding the surgery. He also gave us some bone cement, and the longer we held it, the hotter it became. This was interesting to feel the exergonic reaction taking place as cross links were formed. I was also very surprised to see how forceful the surgeons were with chipping and chiseling away the knee replacement and bone with hammers.

Our day trip to Cologne was also very interesting. When we first stepped out of the train station and saw the cathedral, I was awestruck at the size and magnificence of the church. Inside the cathedral was also breathtaking, especially the stained glass window of the stories paralleling the old and new testament. Cologne also had great tourist shops, and I was able to get some good presents for family and friends back home. But I since my sister Mollie told me she didn’t miss me at all, I’m giving her present to Hannah.

I am now very excited to leave for Berlin in the morning for our New Year’s celebration, then Prague for our free weekend!

No comments: