Thursday, December 30, 2010

Howdy from Bonn

The flight to Germany passed faster than I expected even though I slept for maybe twenty
minutes. After putting our stuff in the dorm we traveled on our own
into the main part of Bonn. It was a bit intimidating because I
couldn't read any of the signs and I couldn't visualize the city. Once
in downtown I was surprised by the similarity to an American ski
town. The cobble stone roads were covered in slush and there were
America shops and restaurants everywhere. I think I wasn't very
tired at all because everything was new and exciting.

The next day I was a little more tired. I really enjoyed the museum of
German history after WW2. For the first time in my life I realized how
much German history had changed in the last 60 and that people who are
still alive today remember all of the changes. It made all of the
events seem more real.

On the third day in Bonn I felt like I knew the subway system inside
and out. I could easily get where I was going and it made me really
appreciate public transportation. So far my favorite experience has
been viewing the surgical operations. I really enjoyed talking with the
surgeons between operations. Watching the operations was thrilling; I
could easily see my self as a surgeon someday. I also really enjoyed
the anesthesiology museum. I've learned that it is much better to
learn from people than from signs in a museum. The owner of the
museum was extremely knowledgeable and passionate about anesthesia. I
could feel his excitement for the subject and it made me what to know
more.

Today we went Koln, the three layered city. It was neat to think that
we were walking on top of two other layers of civilization. The
cathedral was also beautiful but at first I thought it was ugly because
the only other cathedrals I have seen were Roman, not gothic. After
I got past my judgments I was extremely impressed by its sheer size and
elaborate detail. Today I was very comfortable making my way
around the cities and my small list of german phrases are growing in
length and strength.

I'm looking forward to being in Berlin tomorrow and celebrating the
new year. I hope it isn't too cold and that I don't get too many
firecrackers thrown near me; I'm not a huge fan of them. I'm looking
forward to spending the weekend in Berlin with Vazanny. It should be
an adventure being in a new Goering city on our own. I'm excited!


Sarah Wagner

No comments: