Saturday, July 19, 2014

Above all Expectations

As I flip through my journal from the past week, there seems to be a reoccurring theme. Each day's entry ends with something like "Wow! Today was a really great day!" Everyday I find myself falling more and more in live with Germany and this program. While I expected to enjoy myself, I never expected it to impact my life as much as it has.

Our time in Vienna left an exceptional impression on me. I enjoyed every aspect from visiting the Catacombs at St. Michael's and the Josephinum to spending time at the Schonbrum Palace and the House of Music. The city was absolutely beautiful, and I cannot wait until I am able to visit again!

Standing in Front of the Josephinum which houses a collection of more than 1,000 anatomical wax models.
One of my favorite parts of the week was hearing a lecture over the medical education system in Austria from Dr. Richard Marz. He spoke on the differences that are present within America and Austria. I was very impressed by some of the benefits to having the EU as a medical unit including free movement throughout many countries. Additionally, I was very surprised to learn that there is little to no tuition for a medical school in the EU. This is so different than in the United States where there is a constant under supply of physicians due to the financial commitment associated with school. I was quite enlightened by the lecture of Dr. Marz and greatly appreciate him taking the time to share his knowledge and experiences.

Following my departure from Vienna, I have had the absolute pleasure to spend our long free weekend with family friends in Stuttgart, Germany. Our families have been friends for more than three decades, and I am so excited to have this time with them. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting the feeling of "everyday life" in Germany! Last night, we attended the performance of Tarzan at the musical theater, and it was wonderful! The entire show was in German, so I understood very little. Nevertheless, the show was quite amazing! I loved having the apes running through the crowd and swinging above our heads. It was also very neat to recognize the Disney songs even though they were in a completely different language. In just a few short days, Stuttgart has stolen my heart!

Our tickets to see Tarzan at the theater in Stuttgart!
All in all, it has been an incredible week. Each day is better than the last. I have found myself becoming more and more confidant in my chosen path of medicine. I am more than thankful for the opportunity to be part of this program, and I am greatly excited to see what lies ahead.

No comments: