Thursday, August 30, 2018

Trip of a Lifetime

Studying abroad in Bonn, Germany, traveling throughout Europe, making lifelong freinds, eating phenomenal food, and working under some of the best teaching instructors was the most amazing experience I will ever have. My decision to go on this program has changed me in ways that are difficult to describe and hard to notice, but I know they are there. The History of Medicine program was a trip of a lifetime, and here are the countless reasons why:

As a group of 29 college students who were mostly complete strangers to each other, I never could have imagined the friendships that were created on this program. I guess when you travel to more than 7 different countries with people, go to class with them, live with them in hostels, and culturally learn with them, it is bound to happen. The friendships that I made with the students on this program, and with the people living in Germany will never be forgotten.

The daily excitement and nonstop activities is another thing that I miss dearly. It is good to be back in college station, but nothing beats looking forward to my next class excursion to another country or my next night out at the biergarten. Looking back, the entire trip flew by way too fast. I wish I could have done the entire Spring semester with the same people because I loved it so much.

In retrospect, the History of Medicine program surpassed my expectations by a landslide. I had no clue I would make such lifelong memories in cities all over the world with people I never knew. I was taught by some of the best professors, Dr. Wasser and Dr. Fait, and they truly changed my perspective on what it means to submerge yourself in another culture.

After studying abroad, I got the chance to travel for two weeks in Prague and Paris with my parents and younger brother. Prague was beautiful and filled with history. Paris was also gorgeous, but completely crazy because I was there when they won the world cup. When I was traveling with my family, I was enjoying myself, but I was also sad to be away from the program. I missed waking up at 6 am to hop on a train to another country. I missed going to class, learning while at the same time enjoying myself with Dr. Wasser's good sense of humor. This trip was unique, and it's impossible to explain to people who have never been on it. They've just go to go on it themselves if they want to make memories that will last them a lifetime.

I don't see myself being in a happier, more memorable place than when I was in Germany, but I am completely fine with that. The HOM program developed me into someone who now has a different appreciation for other people's cultures, and it also expanded my curiosity to travel more. I wish the trip never would have ended. Being back in college station is nice, but it's is incomparable to being in Europe. I know I will be back soon. I can't thank Dr. Wasser, Alexa, and Henning enough for this amazing experience. This is something I will talk to my kids about, and I hope I can keep cherishing every moment I had abroad. Thank you again to everyone who was part of this program! Miss yall!

Sincerely, Robert Saldana


No comments: