Friday, August 31, 2018

Don't Cry Because It's Over. Smile Because it Happened.

Disclaimer: I am crying because it's over, while smiling because it happened. I really don't know how I can wrap up this summer in one single blog post. This summer was truly the best I have ever had. I experienced something new every day and I met some of the most incredible people. Germany History of Medicine will forever live on in my head and my heart. Here is my Top 10 Reasons for Loving my Study Abroad. 

10. Cultural Exchange. Having the opportunity to live in a host family in an immersive experience made this program truly unique. From the welcome barbecue to simple conversations with my host mom, I will cherish the time I spent on Alice-Salomon Strasse dearly.

9. Public Transportation. Shout out to the 603 for carrying me throughout Bonn. From the bustling Paris metro to the small bus system in Interlaken, accessible public transportation has been missed in my 52 days since returning from Europe. I still have my two Bonn bus passes in my wallet as a memory of my travels. The Aggie Spirit just isn't the same. 

8. The Cuisine. Although I eventually grew tired of bread (I never thought I'd say that), Europe offered a much more varied food scene than I would've thought. Vapiano treated me more than well, and I even had sushi as my first lunch in Bonn. Experiencing different cultures through their food was most highlighted in Spain. Biiiig shoutout to Megyn for showing us the best Barcelona had to offer. 

7. SEVEN. (Sorry for the shameless inside joke. ) This encompasses the friendships I made on this trip. I have never been around such a fun, loving, intentional group of people in my life. I mentioned it earlier, but these friends I made will last a lifetime. I have new people to sit with in classes, run into at tailgates, and talk about our experience without worry of annoying my other friends. These people just get it. They know the importance of studying abroad, and the transformations that we went through. Cologne Stone is ready for a reunion!!!

6. The Classes. For the first time in my college career, I was taking classes that were taught by engaging professors with equally engaging course material. History of Medicine was very interesting, and Dr. Wasser's knowledge seemed unending. I will never know how he keeps that information straight in his mind. Also, only he could sing the Dies Irae in the middle of a museum in Bingen, Germany. Special Topics in Pharmacology was something I did not expect to enjoy so much. Dr. Fajt easily kept the class enjoyable, and those discussions led me to explore more about the field of drug policy, regulation, and development. 

5. Travel. This could easily be the best part of my study abroad. Having travel excursions built in to the program and free travel weekends every weekend, enforced what I was learning in the classroom and allowed me to see parts of Europe I had only ever dreamed of. Bingen, Norderney, Vienna, and Berlin were all included in the program, and allowed us to examine medical history in the places that the events and advancements occurred. Paris, Barcelona, Brussels, Interlaken, Bratislava, Ljubljana, Zagreb, and Luxembourg were all places I was able to go to during my weekend trips. I grew closer with friends while seeing some of the most famous landmarks in the world. 

4. Alexa and Henning. These two deserve a shoutout. To Alexa, thank you for our bar talks during World Cup games. Thank you for sharing all of your experiences and treating all of us with respect and like life-long friends. To Henning, thank you for keeping things light when plans changed, and thank you for always finding humor, even with us Texans. 

3. Bonn. My home away from home. I have so many memories that are strictly tied to Bonn, and I can't imagine my experience being anywhere else. I got to see a golden retriever on my daily commute, and I really got a feel for what Bonn was about. The locals were extremely kind, even when I only knew two german phrases. Deutsche ist keine probleme fur miche! Eine bier bitte! Thank you to the AIB for giving me a second home, 5000 miles away from Texas. 

2. My Parents. Thank you for continuing to invest in my education. Y'all gave me the best experience of my life, and I will be forever grateful for that. Y'all have been unendingly supportive, even when I am not always the most appreciative. Just know I will never forget all that y'all have given me. 

1. The Hero's Journey. Now that I am being reflective, I can truly thank Dr. Wasser for stressing the archetypal Hero's Journey throughout this study abroad. I saw transformations within myself upon arrival in Frankfurt International Airport. For the first time, my independence was truly tested. My family wasn't just a phone call away, and that worried me. I have always been a homebody, but the travel and learning kept me yearning for more, while not worrying about not being at home. I had to make decisions for myself, wake up on my own at ungodly hours (whoop to not missing the train to Norderney), and communicate with others that don't speak my own language. I am sure the growth will not stop now that I am away from Europe, and I am sure some impacts form this trip have yet to be seen. 

0. Prospective Students. Go. Take the leap. Answer the call to action. You will have 0 regrets. You will see unimaginable things, make unforgettable memories, and meet some amazing people. 

Go abroad. Change your life. This is Stone Kinsey, signing off. 




















No comments: