Friday, August 31, 2018

Bonn, The College Station of Germany

Unlike most, after Berlin my parents flew in and we went to so many different places. Krakow, Athens, Bucharest, Rome, Geneva, Interlaken/Jungfrau and Annency, France. Even though I was having a fantastic time, I really missed everyone! I wish I would have been able to share all of those places with the people I became super close to in our 6 weeks. Flying out of Berlin, I had to catch a connecting flight through London. After missing my flight, crying to the ticket lady to get me another ticket and having to find the gate in Heathrow on my own, I finally made it back to Texas. I was really upset I had to fly into DFW because let's face it, Houston is better. ;)

Being home the last few weeks has been interesting. I really miss the cheap food trucks and Vapiano (even if I ate there in Chicago last week). I miss seeing everyone everyday and being able to walk places and not actually melt. I've also really been able to reflect on myself too. One thing I really learned is that no matter how much planning you do, something will probably go wrong. The countless times our travel was cancelled, rerouted, or delayed even with the extensive planning was very helpful in that. I also learned to really appreciate the times you have with people and that the dumbest things make the best memories. I probably won't remember riding the tram everyday after awhile, but I'll remember running in a full sprint under the train rails with Jen so we wouldn't be late or the music/dance party (Mom, its your birthday) with Catherine. Also, the countless times we ate McDonalds and were genuinely excited? I think Stone and I cried when we paid $3 for a meal in Ljubljana.

Its also been really cool running into people from the trip on campus. I've probably seen some of these people numerous times and had no idea who they were, but now im seeing people everywhere. Its been nice always having someone to talk to on the bus or in class. (if I haven't ran into you yet thats sad so can we please hang out?)  I'm so thankful for all of you!!! Also, Henning and Alexa I miss you dearly. Alexa, come back to college station!! Henning, if you're ever in Texas I think I speak for everyone when I say we want to see you!!!

This trip highly exceeded my expectations. I really expected to only learn about medicine. Even though that was appealing at first, I'm so glad we had the opportunity to learn about other things! Being able to go to the German History Museum in Bonn or the Bee Keeping day in Berlin may have seemed really trivial then, but it was awesome to learn things from some of the most knowledgeable people. I don't think anything will ever be able to replace all the great moments that happened on this trip. Even the ones I wasn't so excited about at first.

I've also come to realize that Bonn was definitely the college station of Germany. At least to me. I ate at the same restaurants and didn't stray after awhile. It was all college students and it was way more homey than I think any of us realized it would be.

While my undergrad study abroad experiences are sadly over (8 months until graduation!!) Im really looking forward to bringing the ease of German life back to America. I might take the long way to class to get my steps in, or maybe make schnitzel from time to time now. This isn't goodbye, because ill definitely be back Bonn!!!

Prospective students. Don't under estimate the power of studying abroad. This is my second trip and I still feel extremely changed and thankful for the different experience. It might be scary, but it's worth it!! Get on that plane and see yourself truly change for the best!!!

No comments: