Friday, August 31, 2018

The Best Experience of my whole life - truly


Well as I sit down to write this post, my eyes are full of tears and I am extremely emotional. Not sure how I am going to make it through this one! How has it been six weeks since returning from the most transformative experience of my entire life?? Since returning so many people have approached me and asked about the program, what I learned, the fun that I had and every single time someone asks for a quick run-down of what I experienced I am always at a loss for words. It’s a very difficult task to quickly sum up the best six weeks of your life into a brief anecdote amidst small talk. So, I usually just reply with “I truly don’t have words for how wonderful it was – if you ever want to grab lunch I could talk your ears off for hours and then I’ll be able to fully dive in.” Most people politely nod, and smile and I am okay with that because if prompted/allowed I really would talk for hours. My friends I made on this study abroad program know better than anyone that I never really shut up. (Have I mentioned how grateful I am for the friendships made?! Ill dive into that later.)
Ever since the program ended, I feel as if I truly am a different person. Everyone always jokes about how study abroad students claim to be “forever changed” yet that cliché statement could not be truer. There really is nothing like hopping on a plane to a foreign country with not a single familiar face and fully immersing yourself into another culture to change the path of your life forever. The hero’s journey could not be more real. From living with my dear host family (Shoutout to Judith and Petra you guys are the absolute best) to jumping on planes, trains, etc. to 10 different countries and lacking any normal sleep schedule, I was challenged in ways I never thought possible. It was trying, exciting, and fun in all the best ways. I learned about patience, had the most meaningful conversations, laughed until my stomach hurt, and truly believe that we were all living life to the fullest during those six weeks. On the topic of meaningful conversation and interaction, I could not have been luckier to experience it all with the other 28 students. Each and every individual on this program has something so special to offer and the group was way more amazing than I ever could have hoped for. I feel so lucky to now get to continue these friendships back home in good ole’ College Station. Wine night soon at my house!! On a more serious note, I gained a zest for education that I never knew possible all thanks to Dr. Wasser and Dr. Fajt. The programming led me to be physically and emotionally immersed in my learning which is something I had never previously experienced. I so badly wish I could join this upcoming spring on the Biosciences semester. Learning in College Station now seems a little bleak in contrast to being led around Vienna by Dr. Schnabel while being given plague remedies in an attempt to grasp the effects of the Black Plague. This entire experience was just the best reminder of how small we are in this world and how much culture and education is out there for us to experience. In reflecting on the person I was before the program and am now, I feel more open minded, independent, and aware of my humanity. I cannot wait for more experiences in the future and hopefully to one day soon go back to Europe and dive even deeper into its beautiful history, people, and culture. The action of taking the leap in deciding to go on this program educates you in ways you never thought but you also then are led to knowing a whole new life and fun that is unimaginable. I am forever grateful for you TAMU History of Medicine Program!

Mit all meiner Liebe,
Catherine

P.S. If you are a prospective student reading this – just take the leap and GO! You will never regret it and you will have the coolest new friends all around the world. We miss you Henning and Alexa!! 


















No comments: