Friday, August 31, 2018

Hopped Off The Plane At DFW

I’m emotional just typing this blog. After this, the program is officially over and the grades are set in stone. The only thing that will associate me with the Germany History of Medicine Summer 2018 trip are the pictures as a tangible reminder of the countless fond memories that were made within our group while studying abroad.

Thank you to the wonderful AIB staff for accommodating our stay while in Bonn. We had the best program coordinator, Henning, who gave us a real experience of German culture and protected us along every step of the way. Our amazing TA was Alexa, and we could not of have a better TA. She is especially the perfect TA for a study abroad because not only is she responsible and approachable, but she is the perfect mixture of fun and spontaneous as well. Thank you to all of our professors: Hilda, Dr. Fajt, and Dr. Wasser. Each of our professors brought different qualities to the trip that made our experiences unforgettable. My favorite memories of them include our class lunch with Hilda, the picnic dinner when Dr. Fajt was at our table, and seeing Dr. Wasser in his element at the Badehaus in Norderney, along with so many more memories. They each taught me so much about themselves and their field of study, and just fully engulfed themselves in the program. Every one of the staff members was so generous, welcoming, and left a mark on my life that I can carry on forever.

It was the trip of a lifetime. I learned so much about the history of medicine (in Germany specifically), pharmacology, the German language, and the overall culture that the Europeans are so proud of (and rightly so). But, what I learned about myself tops everything. I really dug deeper into my future career goals/path. I realized that as much as I appreciate surgery and our advancements with it, I do not see myself being a surgeon. Over the past month or so, I really thought about my hero’s journey. In the span of my life, I see this journey as only a blink of an eye, but the life lessons I brought home with me are embedded in my soul. I reach out to my family and loved ones way more, and I prioritize the things that make me feel successful in life. I have learned that home is way more than just a place. Home is the people you love and cherish. The people I met along this trip made Germany my home for 6 whole weeks, but when my journey was over, it was time to come back to this home that was waiting for me. I am forever grateful to have many homes because of the people that have been placed in my life. I am convinced that if you do not come back from your study abroad with more homes than when you left, you did not fully immerse yourself into everything study abroad has to offer.
Lastly thank you to my family and friends. Thank you to my parents for the emotional and financial support, I love you both so much. Thank you to everyone for the thoughts and prayers sent out to me while I was abroad, and welcoming me back home with open arms and open ears to hear about the summer I’ll never forget.


No comments: