Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Over 300 Miles of Adventure and I Wouldn't Change a Thing


Where do I even begin describing my experience in Germany this summer? I suppose the start is a good place. At the beginning of the program, I was nervous. I was nervous about making friends and about the language barrier. I was nervous about being away from home for so long. I was nervous about travelling on the weekends. But I was also excited! I knew I would enjoy my classes. I was excited about the opportunity to expand my horizons and have once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Well, I would say that my expectations were certainly exceeded in every way.
I didn’t just enjoy medical history, I absolutely loved it. I mean, I was able to pay attention even on hot afternoons after long days of classes. The lectures were so interesting, especially the ones Dr. Wasser gave during tours. Pharmacology was not what I expected. I learned a lot of practical knowledge that I feel like I will be able to use as a physical therapist.
One unexpected benefit of the trip was that it really confirmed my desire to be a physical therapist. I was so excited to observe the surgeries in the hospital. I got to see a scoliosis procedure, and let me tell you, I will be a happy camper if I never have to see another surgery. However, I am thankful that I had this opportunity to see what patients go through before they arrive for rehab.
From running through the Düsseldorf airport the first weekend to running through the streets of Dresden the last, weekend travel was always an adventure. Sure, it was stressful and exhausting at times, but I wouldn’t have changed anything. I got to see so many places with beautiful nature and rich history. I got to travel with people who quickly became my close friends. My inner hobbit was very happy about all of the hiking I got to do, even the hike where we got lost and hiked 15 miles.
Learning some German was a fun challenge. My host mother had two goals for her time with me: to teach me German and to fatten me up. While she wasn’t entirely successful at either, this did mean that I learned the names of a lot of (delicious) German foods. I also watched the news with her some evenings. She was so excited when I said my first complete sentence in German. I heard something on the news, and I proudly told her that I knew what it meant. She liked to read over my German homework and edit my grammar. She smiled when I learned to say good night and sleep well in German. While I certainly didn’t learn a lot of German this summer, I do feel like I got a good foothold for learning the language, and I would like to continue. I still find myself getting ready to ask if something is gluten free in German or saying ‘Danke’ on occasion.
The trip was not all good. We were chronically exhausted and often lost in strange places, but being in new and challenging situations forced me to grow. And grow I did. The person who returned from Germany this summer is not the same person who left seven weeks earlier. I am not more confident, more self-assured. My mom thinks I got taller, but I think I just stand straighter. I have learned how to communicate with people who are completely different from myself. I developed a love for the German people. Everyone I met was kind, if somewhat reserved. I also learned how important Christian community is to me. I cried tears of joy when I got to return to church and Bible study in my home town. Finally, I remembered how much I absolutely love experiencing nature, so much so that I walked over wo miles to the vet school this morning. Someday, I will return to Germany. I will hike the Malerweg trail and the Hell Valley Gorge. I will learn more history and eat so many French fries. But for now, I will remember my trip fondly and watch expectantly to see how else my “Hero’s Journey” changed me.

Total Mile Count: 273 miles (plus 40 with my family the week after the program)

No comments: