Friday, August 31, 2018

Closing Time

Wait, it's been 6 weeks already? How is that even possible? In a way it doesn't feel like it has been 3 months since we left and embarked on such a crazy journey but it also feels like all those memories were a lifetime ago. We really packed up and travelled Europe with 30 strangers. Dr. Wasser was right, the whole experience was wildly transformative, I truly feel like a completely different person than who I was when I left. Going to the other side of the world and meeting so many different people and experiencing their culture gives you a new outlook on life and the world and the way we live at home. There were definitely ups and downs to the trip, a heroes journey was definitely an accurate description to the trip we were embarking on, but I wouldn't change a single minute of it. I definitely feel like I have grown more comfortable and confident in myself, while simultaneously opening myself up to so many new ideals and values. Certain things like how Europeans live way more in the moment and put so much emphasis on living to maximize their personal happiness is something I really wanted to bring back with me. Maybe it's due to how rich their history is and how much their cultures have gone through, but Europeans seem to be way more appreciative of what they have and who they are surrounded by, and I wish Americans had more of that. Just really slowing down and taking in the moment and enjoying the company of who you're with, not always living 5 steps ahead, all those worries will still be there later.

History of medicine was definitely a course that could not have been as impactful or insightful as it was learning it where things actually took place. As future healthcare providers, learning about the foundation of the medicine we know today, and seeing how far medicine has come is something that was really valuable. For centuries, humans have been trying to solve the same problems and were constantly learning and changing their methods as more knowledge about the body came about. Seeing how resourceful people were was probably one of the coolest things. Dr. Wasser also added even more to the course than I think most professors would just because of how passionate and interested in the topic he was. Some of the most impressive things we did were the anesthesiology museum and the wax figures museum, neither of which would we have been able to see anything like it in the states, or even just being in Europe alone. The program and this course specifically showed us and taught us things that pertained to our future field that most people will never get to see or even know about.

Overall, the program definitely exceeded my expectations. All of the memories and bonds I made, all the people I met and places I saw, are experiences I will cherish forever. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to go on this program and actually chose to do it. It was truly a dream, it honestly doesn't even seem real most days, and I wish I could go back and do it all over again. I crossed so many things off my bucket list, saw places I never imagined I would be able to go to, some places I didn't even know I wanted to go to. It was truly the experience of a lifetime and I still can't believe it's over.

I'll leave you with some photos of my favorite memories from the trip. Never forget, baby got back.














No comments: