Sunday, August 05, 2018

How is this the last week of the program.

Waking up Monday morning was nothing short of depressing knowing that our program was truly coming to an end in the near future.  Our last days in Bonn were ahead of us, and we were all feeling more than just a little sentimental.  The place we had been calling home for what felt like way more than just five weeks would soon be in the rearview mirror (or I guess maybe on the other side of the tracks if we want to use train lingo).

So!  To kick off our last two days at our home-away-from-home in Germany, we had a few things planned with our people.  First was the hookah bar that we had all been walking by every day to get to class.  We wanted to give the place a try so we spent some time hanging out in there just relaxing and talking!  Next was dinner at this cool dim sum place, and it was SO good.  I had some dumplings, rice, and chicken with some delicious spicy sauce.  We relaxed walking around the city we'd grown to love so dearly and took in for one of the last times all the sites and sounds of this incredible place.  Exhausted from the last long week of travel, we were home at a decent hour and ready for bed.  I packed up my suitcase I planned to ship back to my home in the United States the next day (knowing I would only be bringing my backpack for my week of solo travel in Italy that would follow the program's end) and went to bed.

The next morning, we had a quick pre-departure meeting with Wasser and Henning regarding our Berlin excursion at the AIB building then were free to spend our last day in Bonn however we pleased.  After dropping my suitcase off at the DHL (which strangely involved a pit stop at the tea shop for some packaging), hitting up the souvenir shop, and grabbing fruit for the last time at the central market square, Cassidy, Maddie, Madison, and I took this opportunity to explore Schloss Drachenburg (the long-anticipated Bonn castle we'd been wanting to see).  After about 30 minutes on a train, it was a good hike up to the castle full of nature and pretty views along the way.  I'm just glad we were able to get this place in before we left.  Once we saw the castle, we hiked back down and took a train back to our host family by 19:00 for our farewell dinner.  Our host family prepared an amazing meal with potato salad, chicken, many different types of sausages, cheese, bread, salad, peppers, and more.  Plus drinks of course including wine, beer, and champagne.  Reminiscing on that meal, my mouth waters.  But even better than the meal was the company.  Stone and his host family (his host mom is our host mom's daughter), the neighbors, and lovely friends of our host parents visiting from New Zealand all were there.  It was really an amazing time, and I felt so lucky to spend it with such great, down-to-earth people.  The New Zealand couple even gave their numbers and contact information, offering to house us if we ever chose to travel to New Zealand... a country I've always wanted to visit!!!  It is simply incredible the connections you can make with people all over the globe and so easily when you just choose to put yourself out there.  I feel truly blessed.  Also, our host parents emphasized over and over that if we were ever in Germany again, they would be more than willing to house us again.  Additionally, knowing that my family migrated to the United States from the Rhineland area that my host family lived, they offered to house my parents or any other of my family members and show them the beautiful place that my family came from.  How do people get any better.  After dinner and saying goodbye to all the other guests, Cassidy and I packed up the last things in our rooms and were ready (or as ready as we could be) to say goodbye (at least for now) to Bonn, Germany the next morning.

Waking up the next morning, it was time to eat our last breakfast at the house, pack our bags in the car, get to the train station, and say our very last goodbyes to the best host parents we could have asked for.  After our nice breakfast, I said goodbye to our host dad whom gave me a Bittburger beer on the way out (the beer produced by the area my relatives came from).  Cassidy and I gave him a big hug, and I held back some tears - feeling so much after all the experiences of my time in Germany.  Our host mom dropped us off at the train station, and we gave her big hugs as well (yet another time I wanted to cry).  It is just so insane to me the emotions people and places can bring to people.  I just feel so lucky to be able to feel and experience something that seems like such a phenomenon to me.  Life is surreal.  With our last farewells and endless thank you's, it was time to head to our last adventure as part of the program: Berlin.

It took some time to get there by train, and once we arrived, it was time for our bus tour!  Along with many other things, we saw the Berlin Wall, the memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe, the site of the famous Nazi book burning, and more.  All in all, it was a great first introduction to this incredible city full of so much history and so much life.  Once the tour was over, we were dropped off with our luggage at the hotel.  We went to a really great burger place across the street for burgers and beers (fitting since it was the Fourth of July) and walked around Berlin a little bit before heading back to the hotel for the night.

The next morning, I'm not going to lie, I was not entirely looking forward to the "My Berlin Day" Dr. Wasser had planned.  I was exhausted and not at all prepared (I thought) to spend the whole day walking around Berlin.  Little did I know this experience would not only revitalize me when I needed it most but would also be my favorite part of our program.  For this day, all the students in our program were split into four groups, each to follow a different local of Berlin for the day to learn about their world and learn about their lives in Berlin.  As all of the groups went their separate ways, ours was directed to wait in the lobby of our hotel until our guide would come by to pick us up!  As we waited, we read his description sheet left for us by Dr. Wasser.  On it, we were informed that our guide, Dr. Nico Roenpagel, "has taught yoga and self-development to diverse communities in four continents" and "explores the intersections of contemplative practices, embodied compassion, and social transformation."  This is what changed my outlook on this day completely.  And then, Nico walked in to meet us and grab everyone, and I think that all of us were excited right off the bat from his energy and the aura he was giving off.  This was going to be a good day.  Our first stop was at the park right behind our hotel that none of us even noticed.  He led us to a grassy area where he asked us to all sit in a circle.  After leading us in a mental check-in where we closed our eyes, stretched, and listened to the sounds around us, we all introduced ourselves and told of what we wanted to get out of the day.  My wish was to have a day to slow down my brain and my thinking when everything had been go, go, go these past few crazy weeks.  I didn't realize at the time that I would be receiving that and so much more.  After this exercise he led in the park (and after showing us a cool leaf-popping trick), we walked the busy streets of Berlin and continued to listen to the sounds around us - taking time to stop and close our eyes to better focus on the soundscapes around us.  Eventually, we walked to Alexanderplatz, the center of East Berlin and the location of both the train station as well as the world clock.  There, Nico led another exercise, asking us to listen to our surroundings as well as listen to different directions of sound and to the patterns this sound created.  We listened to the station, the people walking around us, the chatter, the balloons being blown up, and more.  We were asked to envision what our surroundings looked like then opened our eyes to compare our assumptions.  (It should also be noted that it was not only Nico leading these listening exercises.  He encouraged each one of use to lead our own throughout the day, giving us great confidence and experience in the subject).  Next, we were getting on the tram that would take us closer to one of our destinations.  On there, we did more listening, mainly the the tram that seemed to sound like a Tesla.  When we were off the train, we started our trek to and up Devil's Hill, the location of a former US listening station turned into a hall of fame by street art.  As we hiked up the hill and through the forest, we were told that this hill was actually formed from the debris of World War II.  It was so incredible that we were all walking right on history like that.  We were right there where so much had happened.  It was surreal. As we continued with our hike, we stopped along the way for a few snacks, including some berries that were of the plum decent as well as some cherries.  We all worked together to climb and pick a bunch for the group to eat!  It felt like we were on survivor or something.  Finally, we reached the top of the hill and the graffiti park!  Up there, we had SO much fun exploring.  We played ping pong, took in the artwork. made our own music, took some cool pictures, did more sound exercises, had some refreshing drinks, and just had a really, really good time.  After spending a good amount of time up there, it was time to head back down to the city life for some food.  Nico could tell we were all hungry and tired, and as so, he lead us in a reenergizing exercise in the train station.  With that, we were ready, and very soon, we were at Umami for some late lunch!  It was absolutely DELICIOUS.  I had a rice, salmon, and vegetable bowl, and all the meals looked so good.  We finished up our meal after more listening exercises and good conversation and headed back to the hotel!  We were the last group to finish and as so, only had 30 minutes to put together our presentation that we would be presenting in front of Dr. Wasser and the rest of the programs students as well as each of the four locals that lead our groups for My Berlin Day.  Thankfully, we had no problem getting together an intriguing and fun presentation over something we were so interested in from this day we loved.  We put on the finishing touches just in time, and right when we were done, our whole class was led by Dr. Wasser over to the studio for us to present.  After setting up and eating a few snacks made by the bee keeper group, each group went up to present!  Though I have always fretted public speaking, I can say that this presentation was one of the only if not the only presentation I have ever felt comfortable, and even enjoyed, giving.  It was just so fun and exciting to talk about a day we loved so much, especially without all the pressures of exams and performance tracks and more.  Just pure learning.  Once all the groups were finished, Dr. Wasser thanked each of the four Berlin guides and also expressed how happy he was with each of the group's presentations.  I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say that it made us so incredibly happy to see him so thrilled with us and the successes of our days knowing how much that man had done for each and every one of us and how hard he worked to ensure each of us grew not only in our studies but as individuals.  That was always his goal from the very start, and he not only said it, but we all could feel it.  Then, each of the Berlin guides said a little word, and Nico was last to speak.  He was so kind and had taught us so much but somehow still just thanked us for making him so happy by spending the day with him and being as open as we were to all his guiding and teaching.  It made our whole group feel so happy!  After this, everyone said their goodbyes and were on their ways, but our group that had been with Nico for the day stayed back to talk more with him.  When we expressed how interested we were in doing our own research into meditation and exploring the field more, he was kind enough to recommend books, tell us of ways to start meditating, suggest events, and more.  He even gave us his personal contact information and made it very clear over and over that if we ever want to talk about anything, and he meant ANYTHING, that he would love to hear from us about any thoughts, concerns, or questions we had.  We all had a big group hug, and a few of us (definitely including myself) shed a few tears.  It was just such a life-changing day full of so much love and genuine care for each and every one of us that it truly moved me.  The world needs more peacefulness and more love, and that day was a perfect example of how peoples' lives can be changed in an instant with just a little bit of that love.  As we left, Nico gave each of us the biggest hugs that made each of us feel so special and connected.  That day truly changed my perspective on a magnitude of things.  Since then, I have been doing my own meditating and have been working towards establishing more peace in my life.  Though I clearly have days where peace seems hard to attain, I am always searching for it and working to improve myself so that I can live a more peaceful life and bring more of that peace to others, because now I feel the importance of peace more than I ever did before.  There have been a lot of life-changing moments and experiences on this journey, but that whole day has surely been one of my favorites.  Once we left, our group and Alexa did some more sight-seeing around Berlin, met up with another group, and had some drinks before it was time for us to head back to the hotel for the night.

The next morning, Friday, we had a visit to a concentration camp about 30 minutes away by train (quite the big subject change).  It was compellingly eye-opening.  As we were guided around the camp, the things I heard, read, and saw disgusted and saddened me.  Their living and working conditions, the indescribable treatment, the horrific tellings from inmates, and everything else was more than enough to deeply sadden and anger all of us.  It was painful and emotional just to learn about.  To actually experience?  None of us could actually ever fully comprehend that.  Still, as it has been pushed in Germany time and time again, this past is something to acknowledge and learn from so that this never is to happen again.  I am greatly thankful for this experience, and it brought a greater understanding of the lives of inmates to each and every one of us.  After this very thought-provoking and emotional experience, it was now time to head back to our hotel in Berlin.

Now, it was time to do our last minute packing up!  We all went through our things and packed together for the last time (none of us were happy about this).  When everyone was all set, it was time to head to our VERY LAST PROGRAM DINNER.  CRYING.  For the last month and a half, we had each seen and lived with each other almost every day.  We were a big family.  Now, we were eating our last meal together (for now at least, until our next reunion in College Station).  It was an amazing meal with several different types of meats, salads, fruits, vegetables, and more.  And of course, wine. We all had an amazing time, and when I thought it couldn't get any better, the surprise we had heard might be true walked in.  Dr. Wasser had hired a belly dancer to come in and show us some moves!  She had a little performance set up and pulled many of us in to dance with her!  Encouraging all of us to learn and join in!  It was so, so much fun, and we all loved how much Dr. Wasser enjoyed seeing us have a good time (funny how that works <3).  We all had such an great time, and at the end, we thanked Dr. Wasser profusely for giving us truly what was the time of our lives over these past few weeks.  The program would not be the same without him, everyone who helped make it so amazing, and each and everyone of the students that took the chance to hop on board this incredible train (literally most of the time).  That night, we all went out more to celebrate.

Too soon, it was the next morning.  And we all had to be on our ways soon.  Cassidy and I had early flights around 07:00, and Madison and Maddie made us promise to wake them up to say goodbye.  We all hugged and said our very sad goodbyes.  I have no idea how we all got so close in such a short period of time, but I am so eternally grateful for it.  I would do anything for all of those girls, and I just love them so much.  (Shoutout to you guys for making this trip better than I could have ever even expected and for giving me such the beautiful gift of friendship and love you guys continuously provide!!  You guys know I can't express my thankfulness for you guys enough.  My freaking soul sisters.)  Anyway, once we somehow separated, Cassidy and I were walking out the hotel doors to our cab.  Wasser was downstairs helping us to our cabs.  We thanked him yet again and were on our way to the airport.

Though my flight that day was not home to the United States (I was staying an extra week in Europe to do my own traveling in Italy), it did not make the goodbyes and the departure any easier.  It was the end to what was the best summer of my life (seriously though, how could this ever be topped by another summer of mine).  And more than the traveling itself, it was the incredible people I was able to do it with that made each moment that much more memorable and amazing.  Though I was saying goodbye to a time, I could never forget a moment spent here.  I learned more about the world around me and, perhaps most important, more about myself than I could have ever imagined.  These weeks gave me a vision.  A vision that I was previously missing of the life I wanted to live.  A life full of possibilities and exploration and self discovery and happiness.  Before, I knew that I wanted big things for myself, but these things seemed so distant at times.  I did not know the full extent of the possibilities out there for me.  But, after this trip, I gained not only this vision but also incredible confidence and inspiration to pursue these dreams of the life I am so, so excited to live.  "Don't let your dreams, be dreams." -Jack Johnson.  Couldn't put it better or simpler, I guess.  My simplest way to put it: My life was forever changed for the better by this program.  And there is not enough I could say to express my thankfulness for what it gave me.


-Kylie Reis



Schloss Drachenburg - the castle in Bonn.

The best host parents two girls could ask for.

The Berlin Wall.

Streets of Berlin.

The world clock in Alexanderplatz.

US listening tower.

Salmon, rice, and vegetable lunch at Umami.

The luckiest group because we got Nico!!!

Translation is "Work sets you free."  On the gate to the entrance of the concentration camp we visited.

Last program dinner with the best group we could have asked for.

No comments: