Tuesday, July 01, 2014

auf Wiedersehen, Texas!

In my final week here in my home state of Texas, I am filling my days with the tasks of my endless To-Do List. I am both excited and nervous for what lies ahead. While my time left in the States is dwindling, I am regretting my decision to procrastinate packing for the trip...

This study abroad program appealed to me because I knew it would be a once in a lifetime trip. Growing up, my family traveled often, but never to Europe. As someone from a rich German heritage, German culture and tradition has always been a big part of my life and I felt as if this trip would be an excellent way for me to learn more about it. Throughout the trip I will be relying on the bit of German language I learned from my grandmother, Oma, before she passed away, although I hope to learn much more! During the regular semester, engineering classes and the studying and homework that comes with them consume nearly every aspect of my life. Sometimes I feel as if I am missing out on the "normal college experience" so I want to take this amazing opportunity to do something I will truly enjoy with friends and fellow Aggies who are also ready for the same type of adventure.

Although the excitement definitely outweighs the anxiousness, several things I am worried about are getting lost, how to get to and from places, having the right clothes I need for the weather, and fitting in with my host family. Being raised in the South, I am very familiar with the concept of southern hospitality and have always experienced such (especially being a proud Fightin' Texas Aggie), but I have yet to be in a situation where that might not be the case, and I do not want to overstep my boundaries since I am not sure if other cultures handle different situations as we would here in Texas. But I know I will learn! And that is also another reason why I am opening myself up to the European cultures on this trip. I have confidence that everything will turn out how it is meant to even if things don't go exactly as planned!

I can say with confidence that medicine has become a true passion of mine, partially thanks to Dr. Wasser's VTPP 434 class, so thanks Dr. Wasser! Even though I have not decided if I want to do human or veterinary medicine, or a combination of the two, I do know that the medical field is where I belong. Throughout the course of my time in Europe, I expect and hope to learn things that can't be taught in a classroom and that will allow me to have a unique perspective when approaching problems and situations not just as an undergrad, but in my career.

This will be my first time to miss our annual New Braunfels trip with over 100 members of my family (yes I have a large family haha) and family friends, and to them I say Ich hoffe, dass Sie eine gute Zeit haben! and auf Wiedershen, Texas!

Gig Em' and God Bless,
Emily Thompson


No comments: