Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What to expect?

Traveling out of the country is something new to me. While I have been to Mexico on vacation, I'm sure that the experiences I will have in Germany will be drastically different. I was born and raised in East Texas in a small rural community with conservative taste and a close minded mentality. I will admit that I feel a little ignorant when it comes to different cultures and customs and this is why I want to travel. I want to experience, first hand, different lifestyles and beliefs. I've led a fairly sheltered life the past 21 years, only traveling within the U.S and Mexico. I have a sister who is only a couple of years older than me that has traveled all over the world, from Europe to the Middle East to several countries in Africa. Hearing her stories and seeing her pictures have made me jealous, and I am anxious to experience everything that she has plus more! She has me anticipating nothing but the best from food to scenery.



I just finished reading the book Blood and Guts, and I must say it was a rather interesting read. Something I never thought about was the history of medicine and how our current health care came to be. It's funny thinking that there was a time when no 'doctors' existed and now some people consider health care an inherent right. I am very excited for this course because I want to pursue a career in medicine, and I think knowing its history will be valuable to me as a physician. Hopefully through the history of medicine, I can learn which attributes make for a great doctor and which do not.

I leave in three days for London! I'm so excited and I'm sure the rest of you are too!

Joanna

No comments: