Saturday, December 12, 2009

What I'm Expecting...

I haven't been outside of the United States in a few years, and I am really excited about this trip. It will be my first time to visit any European country, and hopefully the experience will be everything I expect and more. Living in Texas my whole life, Germany is going to be a huge change of scenery, especially temperaturewise considering it's snowed like four times in Houston...ever. I signed up for this program expecting to come back with a much better understanding of the field of medicine and not only the thrills that come with the profession but also the responsibilities that go hand and hand with it. Getting to watch an open-heart surgery will truly get to be the ultimate medical experience, especially considering I hope to become an emergency room physician/surgeon in the future. It will really put things into perspective for me, and though it may sound a little callous, I'm sure the trip won't hurt my resume.
Concerning the cultural aspect of the trip, the experience won't be anything I'm not used to. I've been to several countries outside of the United States, and I'm accustomed to the change in culture, but I have never been to a country like Germany and hopefully the trip will dispell any negative stereotypes that have accompanied it since World War II.
I am very excited about the whole thing and can't wait till December 27th!
Ryan Rihani

No comments: