Wednesday, December 30, 2009

First Couple of Days

The last few days have been both exciting and tiring. The first day found me quite jet lagged, but fortunately the experience of the new country and beautiful city kept me awake. The entire country has been absolutely awesome so far, Bonn being no exception. After a genuine German dinner the first night, the first day started with a tour of the courtyard of Bonn. Dr. Ra's tour proved to be quite interesting, both funny and academically stimulating. The touch of humor helped in adding culture to the tour itself, especially when considering the fued between both sides of the Rhine that he continually addressed. The rivalry reminded me a lot of the relationship between tu and a&m.
After the tour, we went to a Doner and Falafel shop that was quite interesting. I realized that the water here was nearly always carbonated, something I'm not too fond of. I also realized that bring cash dollars on the trip was not the smartest decision I could have made. I wasn't aware that the exchange rate changed so much.
The tour through the history museum, however, was a really fun experience, especially considering our tour guide was exciting and quite unorthodox. The way he taught the material and got his points across really opened me up to understanding the culture of both Bonn and Germany as a whole. I especially loved how he attempted to get us outside of our comfort zones in order to make his points clear to us. He was also much more pro-America than I expected, a revelation I found quite comforting.
All in all, the first couple days were exhilarating and exhausting, but I liked every minute.

No comments: