Saturday, December 26, 2009

Are We There Yet?

Throughout the fall semester I’ve been counting down the days until this trip. Now here it is: it‘s Christmas day and I’m sitting on a plane headed to London to spend a couple days there before going to Germany. I’ve been pretty privileged as far as traveling within the U.S. and to Mexico, but I’ve never been overseas to Europe. It all feels so surreal and that this really isn’t happening. I cannot even explain my excitement, but I’m just as nervous. I’ve never ridden a plane longer than about 4 hours, and never over water for so long. The other main thing I’m nervous about is our free weekends- I don’t want to get lost or go to an unsafe area. I’m also hoping that the language barrier won’t be too complicated, especially when in Paris and Prague.


As far as what I expect out of the program, I’m not exactly sure. I love trying new foods, seeing important landmarks and learning about new cultures so I‘m planning on going in with an open mind.. I’m hoping that I will learn something about the German medical field in which I can use in my future career. Also, I’m hoping that this study abroad program will bring me some inspiration or direction to help me decide which career path to choose. I know for sure I want to be involved in the medical field, but I haven’t made up my mind about which way to do this. Maybe this trip will open my eyes to something I didn’t even know existed.

I can’t believe I get to spend my winter break with two of my best friends visiting hospitals, going to museums, and so much more. Not many people can say they had an opportunity like this. Though I’ve been running around getting ready for this trip during the few days I was home, and we won’t have much “down” time during the program, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’d like to get to know the other students going on the trip as well the many coordinators who have helped plan this trip. It will be weird not being to pick up the phone to call my parents, do laundry whenever I wish, and use the various amenities I use on a daily basis like my hair straightener! I really hope I didn’t overpack, because I tend to do that, but I guess it’s too late to change that!

Because I know they’re going to be reading this, I’d like to thank my parents in advance of this trip for helping me prepare for this trip and doing everything they can to get me on this plane and overseas to experience this once in a lifetime opportunity. 4 hours until we land in London! It’s probably a good idea to sleep now.

No comments: