Friday, August 10, 2012

The most beautiful place I have ever seen...:)


I could not have chosen a better place to spend my long weekend than in Switzerland. Everything was so beautiful!



Like always, we had to catch a train at an inconvenient time to get the most out of our free weekends. I said goodbye to my host family one last time at 4 AM and took a cab to the Hauptbahnhof with all of my suitcases. Little did I realize how much I would suffer from dragging an entire five weeks worth of luggage around the train stations. Carrying two suitcases and heavy backpack up and down the stairs at every stop...not fun to say the least.

We arrived in Interlaken and signed up to go CANYONING like we had planned! Going canyoning was our first activity in Switzerland and we had a ton of fun. Getting in our wetsuits and putting on so many layers to the point where we could barely move our limbs, and then wearing helmets with funny names on them, we excitedly followed our instructors and eventually got up to the top of the canyoning site. Throughout the three-hour session, we glided over waterfalls, walked down cliffs, and even jumped down from a fairly high canyon. It was definitely an experience I will never forget, and I am so glad we all got to do it together! Later that night, we went to a club that was a part of Balmers, the hostel we were staying at. So far, I have loved every hostel we have been to during our weekends. All of them have been super English-friendly and welcoming, especially for clueless tourists like ourselves.



On Saturday, we went to chill at a lake nearby. I found out that the city Interlaken is named in response to the town being between two lakes. I loved looking at the site of the clear blue lake in front of all the mountains. Nothing I have seen in real life could ever compare to the gorgeous landscape of Switzerland. We then took a scenic train to Luzern and ate dinner at a fondue restaurant after signing in at our hostel. The fondue was, interesting...I was definitely not a fan of the cheeze fondue and wasn't prepared, but also wasn't shocked, about the food in Switzerland being so expensive. Luckily I brought my cup ramen, which came in handy for the rest of that weekend because I refused to buy full meals in Switzerland from that point on.

On Sunday, we took a gondola lift up Mt. Pilatus!! As always, the scenery was gorgeous and we took plenty of pictures on our way up the mountain as well as many more on the mountain, where there were several different trails up to different parts of the peak. While some of us had to leave the mountain early to catch their train back to Bonn, I stayed with the others and spent the rest of the day enjoying Luzern before our ride to Berlin at midnight. We ate lunch on the mountain and spent the rest of the day walking around and enjoying the nature and beautiful sights of the city. It was all in all a nice, relaxing final day of our long weekend before starting our next week in Berlin. I wish we had more time in Switzerland because it was so incredibly beautiful everywhere we went!


No comments: