Sunday, August 12, 2012

Long Weekend... Switzerland!



Switzerland was a blast.  We started the lovely long weekend in Interlaken, where we went canyoning down this river thing.  Once I got past my initial fear of the heights and the single rope that was holding me as I repelled down the first cliff, I had a ton of fun.  We slid down these slippery rocks and jumped into narrow wedges.  I felt incredibly adventurous.  The next day in Interlaken we went to one of the lakes nearby and just walked around and looked at the incredibly blue water.  Seriously, Switzerland is so beautiful it almost seems fake.  Sarah and I napped in the grass while the others went paddle boarding and pedal boating.  That afternoon, we hopped on the scenic train that would take us to Luzern.  We marveled and took pictures of all of the Alpine mountains and blue lakes (and the attractive Harvard boys a couple of seats over).

My first impression of Luzern wasn’t too great. I had grown accustomed to the beautiful scenery of Interlaken and Luzern was a city.  However, after we got to the hostel and ate fondue for dinner (which was tasty but not appropriate for the summer), I realized that I did indeed like Luzern.  We saw the dying lion, a very interesting piece of art.  The next day we had until midnight to explore so we went up Mount Pilatus, walked across the Chapel Bridge, ate at Mr. Pickwick and watched the Olympics, and ate by Lake Luzern.  I had a terrific time in Switzerland.

Fondue in Luzern

The group on Mount Pilatus

Chapel Bridge

No comments: