Sunday, August 12, 2012

It's not Tschuss...it's Bis Spater!


The final week was completely bittersweet for me. I would even venture to say more “bitter” than “sweet,” which surprises me. I knew I would enjoy this trip, but I didn’t think I would be hesitant to return home so soon. I even think I could have survived a whole semester in Germany. However, this program was perfect for me in every way. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

This week in Berlin we were able to experience some great things. We started the week with a bike tour. After the 44km bike-ride in Bonn, this was nothing too difficult for us. However, bike riding after traveling on a train for the last 13 hours from Switzerland did not make it easy. Did I mention that we had a 3 hour lay over where we huddled up outside in the cold, rainy Olten train station? I have definitely had to adapt to the busy traveling life during my study abroad. Just another aspect of the trip I have enjoyed more than expected. It can be refreshing to be on the go.

Our bike tour was filled with great information of Berlin’s role in the history of Germany. We visited the main sights, like Brandenburg gate, the Reichstag building, and part of the Berlin Wall. I enjoyed our visit to the Holocaust Memorial. The piece is very unique and can be interpreted in several ways, which is something the artist had intended. The memorial contains over 2000 concrete blocks of different heights and sizes. Walking through it, my mind tried to interpret the meaning of the work. The ideas of containment, perspective, and shadows came to mind. The victims were taken away from their families or loved ones to be contained in cold, dark places (literally and metaphorically), similar to concrete. Also there are many ways to experience the memorial. For instance, you could stand outside of the perimeter of the blocks or you could walk through the rows and rows of blocks. When you view it from the perimeter, it could represent outsiders or non-victims witnessing the increase of destruction. When you view it from within while walking through, everything looks the same…daunting rows of concrete. This could parallel those experiencing the pain…all of it seemed to blend together. You can’t escape it either, just as it is a maze-like feeling when you are walking through, easily getting lost.

On Tuesday, we toured Germany’s parliament building or the Reichstag. It was very modern looking inside with a lot of security, which is to be expected. I enjoyed walking up the dome on top of the building. It gave a great view of the city and the dome itself is an interesting piece of architecture. The building has been a part of Germany’s history in several ways and today they have incorporated much of the history within the building. For example, some of the walls inside are made from the original walls that would have stood outside facing the Russian control of Germany.

 The concentration camp was our final stop for the day. It was serious and saddening time, but I appreciate the opportunity to see such a historical site. One of the things I have enjoyed learning about on this trip is how the history of Germany has affected its present and future culture so strongly.  The people of Germany have had to deal with the unfortunate parts of their historical reputation and continue to have problems with this. It is very interesting how many things done by the Nazi’s in the past have been either made illegal, or in the case of Nazi phrases that were commonly used, it is unheard of for a German today to say the same words.

Wednesday, we went to the Charite’, a medical school, which included a museum as well. A medical student, also a student-tutor, showed us the type of learning environment the school provides for its students. The Charite’ includes a unique curriculum plan that allows students to be taught pre-clinical and clinical concepts at the same time. This means medical students interact with patients from the beginning. In response to the curriculum, the school allows the students to experience hands-on learning. For instance, there is a suit that students can put on to create the feeling of an elderly body. The weights in the suit cause you to move slower and your joints are more constrained. It was a fun activity to participate and watch other students try to do simple tasks like sit down and take a shoe off. We also put on gloves that stimulated the symptoms of having tremors, which elderly people can have, making it hard to do daily tasks like drink or write. Let’s just say my handwriting was worse than a kindergarteners’. At the museum, we had a lecture on Rudolf Virchow, in fact we sat in the room where he had lectured at the Charite’. As a major influence in the medical world, he is known for the concept that all cells come from other cells. Even though other had previously stated the idea, Virchow received the credit. Interestingly, even though he was an accomplished scientist, he impacted Berlin in a political way because he set up the sewer system.  Once we arrived back to our hotel after a long day, we decided to go out to a karaoke bar as a group. This was so much fun and the best karaoke experience I have had so far. I am so glad Olivia, our coordinator, joined us!

Most of Thursday was spent in Emden, which was a lovely town. I wish we could have stayed the night. We visited two museums, the War Museum and the Hygiene museum. The War Museum had a new exhibit, which could be seen from the outside of the building because it had a different architectural style than the rest of the building. In fact, the architecture played an important role in the new exhibit because it symbolized war. War makes its mark, usually a permanent mark, and is always uneven and changing. Even the floors of the exhibit were slanted and imbalanced as a representation. At the Hygiene museum, we had to fulfill our own task of explaining one of the rooms. Mario and I explained the Learning, Thinking, and Memory room. It was great to have hands-on activities like the visual pictures for mind games, and the boxes that required you to use your hands not your eyes to decipher what was inside. After the museum visits, we had one of the best tours of Emden. Our tour guide was fabulous! She was funny, friendly and very knowledgeable. I think what made her so spectacular was the fact that she had experienced the communist rule while living in Emden. She does a great job of brining the city new life and reputation and promotes it as a wonderful place to live.

The final day, Friday, arrived and seemed to fly by. Our last to excursions included visits to the Molecular Medicine Center (MDC) and Otto Bock Center. I enjoyed both, but the Otto Bock center was more interactive. The MDC showed me that there are many opportunities for American students to work, research, or go to school in Germany. I am so thankful that this program has opened my eyes to these types of options because I am definitely considering them. I believe it would be an opportunity to benefit intellectually and personally. At the Otto Bock center, our tour was filled with physical activities. I especially enjoyed the wheelchair designed for playing basketball. I was able to test it and it proved more difficult than I expected! It’s amazing what technology has allowed disabled people to do to be able to continue the most normal life possible. After the museums, we had a wonderful farewell dinner. The Moroccan food was so delicious! It was a great ending to an amazing trip. I will never forget this experience. I hope to come back to Germany soon! Thank you to everyone in this group, all of the students, Dr. Wasser, and Olivia, for giving me an unbelievable experience. You have become my family away from home and I appreciate the time we had together. Best of luck to everyone!

No comments: