Monday, August 06, 2012

The Final Week in Bonn

After returning to Bonn from Hamburg it barely hit me that this week will be our final week here in Bonn and also that our long weekend was coming up so we would only be in Bonn for 4 days approximately.  Our stay in Bonn though was a very packed week starting with large class session along with a tour of the Beethoven house Museum on Monday due to our bike tour being postponed to a day with better weather.  In my book though my favorite day of the week was when we got the chance to see the surgeries at the University Clinics Bonn.  The three surgeries I got a chance to see were the clavical reduction, a spinal injection of a cement, and ankle surgery which I can not exactly remember the name of it.  Talking to the surgeons really showed me the type of mentality you need to have to be a good surgeon these men and woman have a certain type confidence that is clear to see, I guess what I am trying to say is that their mentality is "I can perform this surgery and you will be completely fine after I am done with you".  That was one of my more interesting days I truly enjoyed this experience as this was the first time I have ever been in a surgery room.  The next day, we went out for a nice scenic ride to the town of Remagen on bicycles to take a tour of Remagen peace museum, the museum it self was very interesting but what surprise me was the men who takes care of the museum   He was a lively little man, considering his age he was very energetic and enthusiastic about his beloved museum and knowledgeable about it as well.  On Thursday, was the cruise down the Rhine River, we started in the town of Bingen and made our way to Rheinfels Castle.  Compared to Neushanstein Castle, Rheinfels was more what I thought a real castle should look like, position strategically, bastions to place catapults or cannons lots of slits to let the defenders fire off with bow and arrow or crossbow a true fortress for the purpose of defense.  The whole making your own tour guide with your own story caught me off guard but I enjoyed it a lot I think our little act with comic relief was pretty good in my point of view.  Once we finished our tour of the castle we made our way home I ended up losing my German phone on the train but thankfully Olivia informed me that my phone was found.  Lastly to end my time in Bonn I went about planning my trip to Paris and spending one last evening with my host family I was a quite sad to say to my host family as I grew quite attached to them and them to me, they even gave me a shirt from Bonn as a farewell gift I will miss my host family but now on to Paris for the weekend.

No comments: