Thursday, August 09, 2012

The Amazing Race


Our last week in Bonn was a very memorable one. It was busy and very, very physical. Monday consisted of lectures and little historical secrets. Our lectures included Medicine in the West, covering different centuries, medicine in the time of the Nazis, Hildegard Von Bingen, and Paracelsus.

Tuesday was what can only be described as a once in a lifetime experience for a pre-vet student from Texas, which I am. We got to visit the University Clinics in Bonn and observe surgeries. I got to watch 2 metal rods be removed from a young boys femur, and a babies lower body be recasted. 


Wednesday was the most physically tolling day of the program for me. We biked from Bonn to Remagen. Twenty two kilometers one way. When we finally arrived to Bonn, and when I say we I mean when I finally arrived 5 minutes after the rest of the group, we went over to see the Remagen Peace museum. Mr. Kürtrn who was the mayor of Remagen for 29 years and established the museum lead us around. It was hard for me to focus on the exhibit be cause he was the sweetest old man I've ever seen. The museum was very cool and Mr. Kürten even played the tune of the peace bomb for us. After we left the museum, we were supposed to bike back to Bonn. Being the only person with any sense on the trip, I opted for the train and saved time and energy.


Thursday was the last day of the program and it was fun. We took a train down to Bingen and explored the Hildegard Von Bingen museum. Then we jumped on a Rhine cruise an travel up to St. Goar. St. Goar had a huge castle at the top of a hill off the Rhine. We split up into groups and got assigned a different area of the castle to create a story about. Needless to say, everyone on this trip was pretty creative. We had a blast. We acted like 6 year olds running around the castle having fake sword fights and princesses locked in towers. It was a good day. When we made it back to the Bonn hbf, Mikaela ran and tackled me the station. We made a scene, but we are those Americans so who cares! We were having fun.


Sarah and I finally made it back to our host family's home and had to eat out final dinner with them. I am really going to miss them. They were so sweet and fun I be with. I'm glad I got the experience of a family away from home.

No comments: