Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Paddle boarding in Switzerland!


Switzerland is by far the most beautiful place we have visited so far. I loved being surrounded by mountains and lakes the whole weekend. Balmer’s hostel in Interlaken was another great hostel, comparable to Sir Toby’s. However, we immediately got started on the day when we arrived. We went canyoning soon after we arrived. It was a blast, even though the wet suits made you feel like you needed to lose 20 pounds. I didn’t know what to expect with canyoning, which I think was better because it involved a few jumping off rocks into small pools of water and scaling down rocks backwards. I’m really happy we decided to experience it. I wish we could have stayed longer in Interlaken to do more of the outdoor adventures they offer.


 The next morning was spent at Lake Thun in Interlaken, where I got do one of my favorite outdoor activities… paddle boarding. We were not really prepared because none of us brought swimsuits but I decided to do it anyway! Some of the other girls went on a paddleboat, which seemed fun too. My jeans may have gotten soaked but it was completely worth it! Paddling through a gorgeous blue lake in Switzerland, surrounded by beautiful mountains and with great weather was an amazing experience. How many people can say they did that? Again it was another moment of appreciating my surroundings and this opportunity I was given to come study abroad. I suppose that was the theme of my week. The natural environment that was used in history and still today for physical, medical treatments became my mental and spiritual treatment. I hope I can go back to Interlaken some day!


After paddle boarding, we took a scenic train to Lucerne. The ride was gorgeous, even if I didn’t sit on the “better” side. We all decided that pictures did not do Switzerland justice. It is just not the same. When we arrived in Lucerne, we settled into our hostel. We chose a fondue restaurant for dinner. I had been to one in Houston before, but this was a cool experience to share with everyone in our group. The next day was mostly spent traveling to and from Mount Pilatus. Our gondola ride was awesome. But the view at the top was even better. It was awesome to go through the walking trails and experience the top of a mountain. We were higher than some of the clouds!

A few of us stayed longer in Lucerne to take a night train to Berlin. We were able to visit the lion statue, picnic by Lake Lucerne, walk on the bridge, and hang out at a pub. The lion statue was interesting because it was a dying lion within a rock to represent a wounded solider. After a long weekend spent in the beautiful Switzerland, we are on our train to spend our final week of the program in Berlin. Can’t wait to make the most of our last week before heading home. 

No comments: